Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 1800 R and the gear shift lever sticks when both up and down shifting. Normally I just manually push it to the level position then continue shifting to the next gear, but this is cumbersom, when riding in groups. What causes the heal toe level to stick, I don't see any problems and bike is kept clean but I do not see any springs the return the shifter to the level position

·
Super Moderator
64,384 Posts
Take the shifter pivot bolt out, clean the areas and regrease the pivot on the shifter and the bolt. On a Retro, this is a common problem and you should do this at least once a year

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I know this sounds lazy, but I pull the boots back, take liquid Ajax and squirt it in to break down any gunk, squirt water in there, blow it out with compressed air, then take Lithium White grease and blow it in through the exposed holes at the ball & socket. Put the boots back on & seems to work for me.

·
Super Moderator
64,384 Posts
I know this sounds lazy, but I pull the boots back, take liquid Ajax and squirt it in to break down any gunk, squirt water in there, blow it out with compressed air, then take Lithium White grease and blow it in through the exposed holes at the ball & socket. Put the boots back on & seems to work for me.
As Aardy said, it's not there that sticks, it's the pivot where the shifter arm bolts into the block that gets sticky

·
Registered
94 Posts
What is the appropriate lube for the pivot? General purpose grease?? white Li ?? leftover moly paste from the rear wheel change??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hooker blood? Never tried that. I found obnoxious neighbor blood gets sticky after a while so stopped using it.:yikes:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
What is the appropriate lube for the pivot? General purpose grease?? white Li ?? leftover moly paste from the rear wheel change??
A good water proof grease is best. I use what I use on axle bearings on my trailer. It's light blue in color when first applied. I can't think of the brand name right now, and that doesn't matter.

Tejas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Follow directions, when I pulled pivot bolt that was problem, cleaning the bolt and hole, needed steel wool to get a smooth finish, sprayed brake cleaner on the recieving hole, and scrubbed with battery brush, used white lithium grease and reassembled installing a thin washer both side, hoping this keeps majority of debrie out and seem a bit better, I think whole assembly should have a sleeve or be sealed better since its low on the bike. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
There are supposed to be seals to hold the grease in and the gunk out :thumbup: If they are damaged or missing you should replace them :doorag:

Follow directions, when I pulled pivot bolt that was problem, cleaning the bolt and hole, needed steel wool to get a smooth finish, sprayed brake cleaner on the recieving hole, and scrubbed with battery brush, used white lithium grease and reassembled installing a thin washer both side, hoping this keeps majority of debrie out and seem a bit better, I think whole assembly should have a sleeve or be sealed better since its low on the bike. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had my 03 1800R for five years now and I did this once after the first year of ownership with about 16,000 miles based on advise from here, but I guess I've been fortunate as now with over 33,000 miles I never seem to experience this issue. I probably just jinxed myself. I may just do it for GP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts