Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No this isn't a bash. We own both and love them both. But, since this could go on either the 1800 tech bd. or 1300 bd., it seemed more fitting to put it here instead.

Here's the deal.....

I guess, unless you own both, and work on both bikes from time to time, you don't notice everything. But............these are two entirely different bikes. :roll: It seems at times that they have nothing in common. The more I think about it, the more it bugs me.

Why?

Aside from the displacement.....nearly EVERYTHING is different. What is the reason for this? Is it cost? Weight? The difference in size and weight is less than 10%. The only thing these two bikes seem to share are the lines....when viewed beyond 20 feet.

It seems to me that Honda could have shared a lot of common components between the bikes, and saved money on volume. But, it appears that this wasn't a concern. There are things on both bikes that I like, and wish the other one had it....and vice versa.

If they wanted to make them "look" alike, why didn't they "build" them alike?

Anybody know why this is? :shock: :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I agree

We also have both, Mark, and they are--I agree--completely different. At first, because they are both VTXes, I thought the difference was just the windshield [mine is the full Hondaline, hers the little blvd], but after several rides, I think it's a lot more than that.
And 'why' is a good question.
Know where we can get 4 "Dos Equis" t-shirts?
Jim

·
Registered
983 Posts
Good question Mark, shoot I just found out a retro 18 has different hand levers than a C 18 and I've had an X for 2 1/2 years. Odd to me. Maybe it's that good old American engineering?

·
Registered
468 Posts
:roll:I think every review I read of the 1300 when it came out made mention of many differences and improvements over the 1800. :roll: Of course, everyone has their own opinion on that. :roll:

:roll: If you've ever raised teenagers you might notice that the :roll: emoticon gets old fast. :roll:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: What-Ever! :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bought the 1300S for its weight and seat height. I'm 5'5" or 5'6" on a good day and 150 lbs so the 1300 is at the top limit of my handling capability.

What I like about the bike is the look!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've been screamin that they are completely different for some time now. I have a 1300 C my friend has a 1800c and if you put the two side by side (when mine was stock) you wouldn't even think they are both VTX's. The differences are astonding. From the link brakes to the flush mounted radiator even the damn Gauges are different. It is quite odd that honda would do that but I think they got the C model right on the second try. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it really must have to do with cost. The 1800 has some different features, that come at a price:

dual front disks
inverted forks
6 piston calipers
linked braking
dual pin crank
fuel injection system
etc.

Notice I said different....not necessarily better. However they do come at a price. Maybe Honda was trying to create a more affordable version for some sector of the market.

Otherwise, the two would cost nearly the same....just different displacement.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Mark in ATL said:
I think it really must have to do with cost. The 1800 has some different features, that come at a price:

dual front disks
inverted forks
6 piston calipers
linked braking
dual pin crank
fuel injection system
etc.

Notice I said different....not necessarily better. However they do come at a price. Maybe Honda was trying to create a more affordable version for some sector of the market.

If you go to Honda Motorcycles you'll see that even they cite the 1300 as being 'a more addordable version' of the 1800. Maybe you're onto something...

Otherwise, the two would cost nearly the same....just different displacement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Take:
Honda marketing is trying to create a "family" of VTX's that will likely include an even wider range of displacements. What will they have in common? The "VTX " look.

In a way the VTX is the most recent offspring of the classic VT line from Honda.

Another take:
Many people do "move up" in displacement as they gain riding experience, and if Honda can create VTX loyalty in smaller displacements, you will just stay in the family.

I envision a VTX 250, 500, 750, 900, 1300, 1800, and 2100.

Just my crazy speculation, but that's my take.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
solveforX said:
My Take:
Honda marketing is trying to create a "family" of VTX's that will likely include an even wider range of displacements. What will they have in common? The "VTX " look.

In a way the VTX is the most recent offspring of the classic VT line from Honda.

Another take:
Many people do "move up" in displacement as they gain riding experience, and if Honda can create VTX loyalty in smaller displacements, you will just stay in the family.

I envision a VTX 250, 500, 750, 900, 1300, 1800, and 2100.

Just my crazy speculation, but that's my take.

Respectfully,

David
I think you might be correct, but I think that the Shadow line will be the "VTX" with less than 1300cc's. I think the newer 750's and 1100's have a model that looks closely like the VTX lines. Just my take on it.
Later
Nate

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
David, that makes sense... except I am having a HARD time picturing a VTX 250... But the VTX 2100? Sign me up!
Jim

·
Registered
146 Posts
My wife has a 1985 Honda rebel 250 that runs like a top. It looks pretty similar to the 2005 rebel.

I was thinkin' that when they eventually redesign the rebel, they might make it into an "X"

just crazy talk

respectfully,

David

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the VTX "family" is where Honda is headed. Look at the Aero. It's starting to look more and more like the Retro. Honda's thinking may be similar to Suzuki's. All of their cruisers are now called "Boulevard".

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mixer said:
I think the VTX "family" is where Honda is headed. Look at the Aero. It's starting to look more and more like the Retro. Honda's thinking may be similar to Suzuki's. All of their cruisers are now called "Boulevard".
Could be...

Doing that, however, would mean a change in the Shadow engine. The Shadow engines have a unique "look" all their own.....as does the VTX engine....which pretty much defines the family resemblance.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Other than the physical differences, I've yet to ride a 1.3 however, in 2003, there was a considerable amount of scuttlebut (idle gossip, perhaps) Honda had intentions of re-directing their focus and making a family of cruisers... eventually to phase out the aging shadow. Dave, if there's any truth to any of the 03 gossip, you're right. Originally, the 1.8 started out as a much larger bike, displacement wise. According to sources within Honda (again second hand) the bike wasn't as ridable or rider friendly... the reason it was reduced to 1.8. 1.8 was also chosen because it falls within the limits of another event yet to be mentioned.

At any rate, yeah, it's time Honda upgrades their line.... I'd place money on Dave's hunch......... solve for x... use to teach that... still like doing it... as a retired engineer...
Bill

·
Registered
595 Posts
It was my understanding the 1300 was developed after the creation of the 1800 made a displacement/price/perormance gap in Honda's cruiser line.

It stands to reason if Honda had intended to make both the 1800 and 1300 together at the time of conception of the 1800 they would have shared more parts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts