Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Old Goat
25,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What's the final weight and distribution on both wheels? Curious mind wants to know. (I like building custom bikes, don't ask what's in my shed right now LOL)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The next two contestants. Shhh!

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I'm a big fan of bobber style motorcycles, but I've never liked any with missing rear fenders. The term bobber came partly from the bobbed fenders (cut short). Totally removing the rear fender doesn't look bobbed, it looks like someone who's still working on mounting a bobbed fender.

Here's my 5 year art project I sold bobbed out some, but never did cut the rear fender:

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I always liked that bike HOP. I think it would have looked great with the rear fender cut just at the point where the rear cylinders pipe crosses it.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I always liked that bike HOP. I think it would have looked great with the rear fender cut just at the point where the rear cylinders pipe crosses it.
Yep, that is exactly where I was going to cut, but I don't like doing something unless it's done right. That rear fender is plastic that lays onto a sub-frame. I wanted the rear fender not just cut but slammed close to the tire and to do that properly meant cutting the sub frame entirely off and replacing it with a metal fender mounted with struts at the back end and welded onto the swing arm at the other end. I bought the metal fender and the struts, but ran out of enthusiasm for the project and just decided to get another bike, which I did.

Sometimes 'the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak'.

:)

·
Super Moderator
6,772 Posts
Yes you did. Your Raider I believe? How's that one coming along HOP? In my next life I'd like to own one of those.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Yes you did. Your Raider I believe? How's that one coming along HOP? In my next life I'd like to own one of those.

All I've done so far:

Purchased a new Reaper front fender (seen below) that came black and I painted it to match (see below)

I drilled 8 1/2" holes in the pipes to improve the wimpy sound (doesn't affect performance). Sound is a louder, deeper rumble now

I cut off the stock license plate assembly to remove the 'lolly-pop' style read signals and installed a Blaster-X LED integrated brake/tail light assembly (half the signal flashes amber for left/right turns). It is much brighter than stock and rapid pulses when brake is applied. I opted for a hanging plate until I find the right side mount. The mirrors shown are also an aftermarket choice I went with.

I filled this place in the left side of the bike that comes stock as just a flat piece of metal with this belt buckle I modified to fit;

It's a little less boring I think...

I purchased and installed this chin fairing and found some black mesh to fill in the holes. I may paint it silver, or just wait to paint it when the whole bike is painted.

I also bought and installed the stock seat that is lower profile than the one in the photo's, but haven't taken a photo of it yet.

Next big investment will be some Sharp Curve Radius exhaust pipes similar to the ones in the photo below, only in black that will better go with the look I'm after with choice of paint (looking at a dark candy red choice) and I'll be getting the rims powder coated black eventually....

MeanCycles | CHROME SHARP CURVE RADIUS EXHAUST FOR RAIDER - Part No:  FR-MY00083

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think 'dark red candy' will look really great. I couldn't bring myself to black the wheels but, that's just me.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I think 'dark red candy' will look really great. I couldn't bring myself to black the wheels but, that's just me.
Sorry about hijacking this thread, but......

I'm with you on not totally blacking the rims because I like the design. I was going with the look similar to the photo below—that is leaving the rim pattern showing but blacking the rest.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I hate it, but
What a fantastic job doing it. Very well done and hats off to you!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What's in your shed..........right now?:)
Not my VTX, that's for sure.
But another bike, undergoing a big transition. Given all the delays, incompetence and pure scams by motorcycle parts sellers out there, I might never finish her. But hoping she'll be done by the end of October so that I can start enjoying the nice riding weather that is coming.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts