Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of giving my '07 C model front end some love. New steering head bearings and fork seals.

My question...

Are the forks on all years 1800's the same? I have a downloaded manual for 2002 - 2005 but mine is 2007. Just want to be sure that the fluid quantities in the manual is correct for mine.

Also, should I stick with 10w oil or go to 15w oil?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have an 06 C that I'm pretty sure is the same as to 07's. I'll check my manual for the oil quantities and reply back.
By the way, I doubt you need new steering bearings. The bearings on the 1800's are the tapered ones and unless they've been damaged somehow should be ok. You probably just need to re-torque them. Seals, if they're not leaking then I wouldn't worry about them. Seals do wear out though so new ones wouldn't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 06 C that I'm pretty sure is the same as to 07's. I'll check my manual for the oil quantities and reply back.
By the way, I doubt you need new steering bearings. The bearings on the 1800's are the tapered ones and unless they've been damaged somehow should be ok. You probably just need to re-torque them. Seals, if they're not leaking then I wouldn't worry about them. Seals do wear out though so new ones wouldn't hurt a thing.
Thanks for replying! I would really appreciate if you could confirm the oil quantities for the fork legs, thanks. I know that there are some differences between the early and later models like fuel tank / pump, coolant tank etc, but I assume that most other things would be the same for all models? Just want to be sure with the forks. Also, what weight fork oil would you recommend?

My fork seals have been leaking for a while and when I jacked up the bike to remove the forks I found that the steering head was notchy to turn from side to side. I removed the steering head bearings and found that the bearing cups are badly flat spotted (grooved). I'm guessing it's from the rough roads that we have here and hefty weight of the VTX, and the fact that the steering head bearings sit in the same spot for most of the time. My VTX had 61000 klm on the clock.

Thanks again for your help

Brian

·
Registered
293 Posts
According to the service manual capacities changed after 04...

After 04

Right fork-- 23.9 + or - .08 US oz.

Left fork-- 26.7 + or - .08 US oz.

I used 10w...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the service manual capacities changed after 04...

After 04

Right fork-- 23.9 + or - .08 US oz.

Left fork-- 26.7 + or - .08 US oz.

I used 10w...
Thanks heaps for that mate, exactly what I needed to know.

Would you be able to check in your manual for me again to give me the length of the springs please? In the 2002 - 2005 manual it's gives a minimum serviceable length of the springs, but mine are about 40mm shorter than the minimum in the book! I'm hoping that the later model forks have different springs for some reason too. I couldn't image that mine have squashed by 2", I haven't noticed any difference in ride height.

Thanks again,
Brian

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sure, this is spring free length..

'02 - '04
Right: 12.72 in.
Left: 12.72 in.

After '04
Right: 11.1 in.
Left: 11.1 in.

About 1 3/4" difference starting with '05.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, this is spring free length..

'02 - '04
Right: 12.72 in.
Left: 12.72 in.

After '04
Right: 11.1 in.
Left: 11.1 in.

About 1 3/4" difference starting with '05.

Awesome mate, thanks again! I got the forks all back together the other day, just need to buy fork oil and add it now. I'm thinking i might go with 15W or 20W oil.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts