Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put 'em on today. Holy hell these puppies are loud! Nice low, rumbling sound to them. I do love the tone, just not the volume. I doubt I'll be getting rid of them, because overall, freakin' awesome!

Before:

After:

Took a couple hours to get everything lined up. HK's instructions are pathetic and I didn't need the 1800C "Y" bracket (the brackets are identical) like I was told, but everything went pretty smoothly overall; I didn't drop any nuts down the header or radiator and I didn't gouge the new chrome, so overall, a great day.

Suggestions to anyone wanting to install these:

• Keep the plastic on until you are completely finished to protect the new chrome.
    Put the brackets on the pipes first; the nuts and bolts are very difficult to line up once the pipes are on the bike.
    Keep everything very loose until you are finished, then torque 'er down.
    Enjoy ('cause your neighbors won't)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the way H&K routes their upper pipe to be farther away from your leg. If they weren't so loud, I would go to them. Can they be baffled any more to quiet them down? I really like their look.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Axel... I feel the same way about mine. My wife doesn't like the volume, but I keep telling her that they look AWESOME! I love 'em!

Now if I can only hook up my PCIII... :lol: I've got to find the time... F riders have to remove the tank inorder to get to the heads to make the connections. I just don't have the time to take the sucker apart. I'd rather be riding!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Axel said:
and I didn't need the 1800C "Y" bracket (the brackets are identical) like I was told
Thats odd, my F "Y" bracket was roughly 2" different in length than the C bracket, and only 1 hole would have lined up. I wonder if something has changed after '05 models (either the Y bracket or the exhaust's bracket?

After install I re-torqued the headers a few times over 500 miles (17ft lbs) because air would start getting in (more decel pop than usual). The flange on the headers was thinner than stock. Following advice from this board I used 2 stainless washers under each acorn so they don't bottom out, but next time I think I would use stainless nuts with the acorn on top (also advice from this board).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well the C model and '05 F model brackets are definitely different so maybe either Honda started using the longer bracket in later years or HK has a new designed bracket for the Sideburner.
F and C bracket:

Oh yeah Axel...Welcome to the Sideburner :twisted:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Uncle_Cliff said:
Hey Axel... I feel the same way about mine. My wife doesn't like the volume, but I keep telling her that they look AWESOME! I love 'em!

Now if I can only hook up my PCIII... :lol: I've got to find the time... F riders have to remove the tank inorder to get to the heads to make the connections. I just don't have the time to take the sucker apart. I'd rather be riding!
There is no need to remove the tank to install the PC III. Just lean it over to the left some.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, I did it, just leaned it over to the side. What a pain in the a$$ that was. Diconnecting hoses, and those connectors... I also made the mistake of pulling the fuel line. ( :shock: ooops!) (Big-Fokker warned me about it too)

It took some time, but it's connected now... All I have to do is make sure I have the right map downloaded. :roll:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I didn't disconnect anything. But atleast you got it done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
:lol: Yeah, now the wife is off my case for spending all that money on that thing. :lol:

Don't know how you did it without disconnecting anything... do you still have the stock air-box? (duh!!! look at the avatar Cliff!)

By the way... Nice Bike! :lol:

G

·
Welcome to the Sideburner club!!

I've got a C and they were a PITA to get bolted up but well worth the effort. I've got my idle at just under 700rpm (600-750 variance) which is in the manual's 500-800 range and it sounds freakin awesome at idle; It lopes like a cammed out big block.

I haven't had any complaints about the sound yet. Well except one dude who wanted to run with me to 60. The poorbastard was on my right side when I passed him.:twisted:

As long as you don't leave your neighborhood at warp speed you'll be A ok.

G

·
I have a VTX1800F model. What modifications do I need to do to my bike to get them on? Does it have an oxygen sensor on them?

·
Registered
506 Posts
XRedRider said:
I have a VTX1800F model. What modifications do I need to do to my bike to get them on? Does it have an oxygen sensor on them?
No real modding needed. Just get yourself a "C" model exhaust bracket and bolt'em up.

G

·
Hey thanks for the advice. I have another question for you. If I want to run a C model exhaust pipe on a F model bike is that I have to do is put the C model exhaust bracket on the F model bike to run the C model exhaust pipe on the F model bike.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
XRedRider said:
Hey thanks for the advice. I have another question for you. If I want to run a C model exhaust pipe on a F model bike is that I have to do is put the C model exhaust bracket on the F model bike to run the C model exhaust pipe on the F model bike.
Not always the case...
Sideburners on an F model - YES
V&H Bigshots on an F model - NO

Though, Axel said that he used his F model bracket and the pipe bolted up fine...that's a first that I have seen posted here for F models and Sideburners.
I would get one just in case and if you don't need it either return it or sell it here on the classifieds. 8)

Oh yeah...Welcome to the boards XRedRider :!:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts