Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 VTX1800N3 Stock except for Barnette Clutch Springs
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The links I have tried to follow for step by step with pictures are gone. Are there any current links that have how to do this still up? 2006, which I think has something different about it than the earlier models.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
All model tanks are taken off the same way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 08 Neo and its alot easier, I believe, than the older models. The only tools you will need is a 10mm socket and 10mm wrench, 5mm allen, a pair of pliers to remove hose clamps, and a block of wood. Remove seat, and 10mm bolt that holds the tank in front of the seat. Once that bolt is out, you can actually move the tail of the tank up and over a bit to the left side, making it real easy to disconnect fuel line. Now you must decide, catch fuel into a funnel to a can, or quickly throw a 3/8" rubber vacuum plug on the end of the nipple at the tank. Before you remove that line, shove some rags under it to catch fuel, it will come out fast. Catching in a long funnel, if positioned right, you wont spill a drop. Once gas is out or captured, remove gas cap, and the three screws holding dash on. Only the three near the tail of the dash. Lift dash and gently push forward and off. Hang out of the way. Put gas cap back on. Lift rear of tank up and back till it clears the mounts in the front and set it back down on top of them. Now you can easily lift the rear of the tank and put a block of wood to support it up. Remove the two hoses on the left side of tank... (fuel return and breather). Move to the right side and disconnect the fuel level sending unit wire. Done. Tank is free. Lift off gently out of the way. It is actually alot easier than u think. Put it back on in reverse. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
I have an 08 Neo and its alot easier, I believe, than the older models. The only tools you will need is a 10mm socket and 10mm wrench, 5mm allen, a pair of pliers to remove hose clamps, and a block of wood. Remove seat, and 10mm bolt that holds the tank in front of the seat. Once that bolt is out, you can actually move the tail of the tank up and over a bit to the left side, making it real easy to disconnect fuel line. Now you must decide, catch fuel into a funnel to a can, or quickly throw a 3/8" rubber vacuum plug on the end of the nipple at the tank. Before you remove that line, shove some rags under it to catch fuel, it will come out fast. Catching in a long funnel, if positioned right, you wont spill a drop. Once gas is out or captured, remove gas cap, and the three screws holding dash on. Only the three near the tail of the dash. Lift dash and gently push forward and off. Hang out of the way. Put gas cap back on. Lift rear of tank up and back till it clears the mounts in the front and set it back down on top of them. Now you can easily lift the rear of the tank and put a block of wood to support it up. Remove the two hoses on the left side of tank... (fuel return and breather). Move to the right side and disconnect the fuel level sending unit wire. Done. Tank is free. Lift off gently out of the way. It is actually alot easier than u think. Put it back on in reverse. Hope this helps.
And a towel or thin baby blanket on the tank as paint protection while moving it around. Accidents happen.

·
Registered
2006 VTX1800N3 Stock except for Barnette Clutch Springs
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts