Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't done this yet, but I am concerned because the fender is notched around the fork tubes. Is taking this fender off going to be a major undertaking? I am hoping I can do it without taking the front wheel off. I'm thinking it will slide upward and then out of the forks, but the fender gets wider at the bottom and I don't think there is enough room to take it out backwards because of the frame and radiator.

Anyone who has done this, please give me some pointers on this.

Also, what are the chances of me scratching the fender during removal/installation?

Thanks,
mosto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the information in all the links you left was a whole lot of things I didn't want to hear. I guess I am going to learn how to take the front of my bike apart :? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Remove the frt tire then the fender or ya will not get it off with out damage.

Be Safe
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
63,762 Posts
mosto said:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the information in all the links you left was a whole lot of things I didn't want to hear. I guess I am going to learn how to take the front of my bike apart :? :roll:
It really isn't all that bad or difficult to take the wheels off. Bareass even has write-ups on how to go about taking them off and putting them back on correctly. 8)
http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
mosto said:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the information in all the links you left was a whole lot of things I didn't want to hear. I guess I am going to learn how to take the front of my bike apart :? :roll:
Dude, don't get discouraged. I just replaced my front fender on my Retro this weekend. Jack up your bike (easiest this way). Take off the front wheel (10-15 min.). Unbolt the four (4) bolts that hold your fender to the chrome attachment brackets. Next, rotate the end of each fork 180*. Then, simply lower the fender out of the forks. If you're saving that fender, I'd use tape as suggested. Installing the fender is exactly these steps in reverse. I took my old one off so quickly that I forgot how it came out. My buddy and I just figured out that the fender will slide up easily (one fork in each fender 'dimple groove', or notch as you say) . This is when you're likely to scratch it -- hence the tape. Finally, install front wheel.

Total time for a mechanic dunce like me with a little help: ~1h.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
The fender can be dropped without turning the forks. Drop the wheel and tape as said previously. When the fender is free it will nt drop straight down out of the grooves. Facing the fender you can tilt the fender up n the right side and drop it down slightly on the left and she will pass....barely.


Dan...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Danc49 said:
The fender can be dropped without turning the forks. Drop the wheel and tape as said previously. When the fender is free it will nt drop straight down out of the grooves. Facing the fender you can tilt the fender up n the right side and drop it down slightly on the left and she will pass....barely.


Dan...
Didn't know that. I guess everyone has a different way. But it takes only 1 second to turn the bottom of each fork. Seems like little effort to avoid the tilting procedure.

$0.01,
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
DrReid said:
Danc49 said:
The fender can be dropped without turning the forks. Drop the wheel and tape as said previously. When the fender is free it will nt drop straight down out of the grooves. Facing the fender you can tilt the fender up n the right side and drop it down slightly on the left and she will pass....barely.


Dan...
Didn't know that. I guess everyone has a different way. But it takes only 1 second to turn the bottom of each fork. Seems like little effort to avoid the tilting procedure.

$0.01,
Steve
Concur, and it gives you about an extra inch of space.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top