Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, from what I have read, the 1300 actually has better hiway gears than the 1800. So, my speedo is about 4 mph off right now and changing to a 205-60-16 tire will pretty much correct my speedo. Does the 1300 rear drive bolt in as unit in my 1800 or do I have to pull it all apart and bolt it all together in my 1800 rear end. Help!! And once this is done, I am assuming that now my speedo will be be way off. How to I correct this?
The reason for all the questions is, when I am running down I25,there are times that my butt tells me to look for sixth gear. Generally this happens at about 85 to 88 mph. Also, tooling around town with a good hiway gear would let me run at a lower rpm and in a lower gear if need be. Info and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
It is a direct swap. Just find a good 13 final drive and switch them. It will bring your speedo closer to correct :wink:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just did the swap a few weeks ago. Look for info from Showtime 56 for the swap. He even has a source to get the hub chromed or polished.
I really like the switch. Many of the roads I routinely ride are 55 mph. You can go 60 most of the time, except with lots of traffic. I was always between 4th & 5th. They are all hilly and I was shifting back & forth...
Now I'm in 4th and its perfect, right in the sweet spot.
I also was trying for 6th on the interstate. It just seemed like my rpms were too high at 75. Now 5th is like overdrive it just feels and sounds right. Plus I've slowed down on what the speedometer shows me because I know the numbers are more accurate. I'd sure do it again..
Just my .02 worth.
Jeff

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1300 gears

Thanks guys for the info. I do believe I will have to put the gear change on my to do list.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1300 gears

Thanks guys for the info. I do believe I will have to put the gear change on my to do list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts