Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odometer and trip odometer also stopped working. All idiot lights still working. Don't know about gas idiot light because I don't plan to find out if it doesn't work. No one else online has talked about this problem on the Tourer that I can find. Looked under fuel tank for loose wires, but can't even see any connectors. Is there a fuse on this model just for the speedometer? How can I check for loose wires other that removing the fuel tank? How difficult is it to replace the speed sensor if necessary. I have the Honda service manual, and it only has 2 pages about the speedometer. None of it much help. I worked on some bike years ago when you could see lots of light on the other side when you were working in the engine area. Now there is stuff stuffed everywhere, so use small words and lengthy descriptions of processes. The dealership wants $114.00 just to diagnose the problem. That sounds a little steep if it's just a loose wire or a fuse. I'm not sure when it come to replacing the speed sensor. I've read a few horror stories about having to replace it two or three times and engine oil running onto the back tire. Sounds kind of screwy to me that someone would design a motorcycle that could happen on. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Super Moderator
64,122 Posts
In the back it will have the fuses and what they control. Try fuses first

For the future, your T model is no different than the R and S model. Only difference is the T came with bags and a windshield

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
Two indicator lights---Oil pressure & neutral switch---do they work????

Speedo, gauge lights and the two indicator lights, tail light and license plate light on the same fuse.
Do any of the above work???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two indicator lights---Oil pressure & neutral switch---do they work????

Speedo, gauge lights and the two indicator lights, tail light and license plate light on the same fuse.
Do any of the above work???
Yes the oil pressure and neutral lights work. The tail light and license plate light also work. Does that mean a loose wire/connection or a bad speed sensor?

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
Do you have a display on the odometer?
Just does not increment??

Then test for +5volt pulses from the VSS on the Pink/Green wire.
VSS gets +12volts on the Black/Brown wire.
VSS ground is the Green/Black wire goes to the "Common electronics ground" bolt at the front coil bolt.
One of 5 wires on the ground lug.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Once after washing my bike the speedo didnt work right . Only went up to 30mph in 5th gear hauling azz . I found the former owner put a speedo healer device on the bike . I,m thinking because he ran a car tire ? I also run a car tire . I unhooked the unit and now it works again . All lights were working just speedo messed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help. I bought the bike new. It's a 2008 that was left over in 2010. I looked in the front of the Honda service manual and it said the wiring diagrams were in chapter 20. I went to the back of the manual and found Chapter 19 and right after 19 was Chapter 21. Either Honda doesn't want anyone to see the wiring diagrams, or they just didn't put chapter 20 in my book. I'm going to pull the seats and the speedometer unit to check voltages. Manual says I have to unbolt the gas tank to lift it 200 mm in the back before I can get to any of the wiring for the speedometer. Is there anything that can be done without screwing with the fuel tank. Manual says to disconnect the fuel tank air drain and and fuel hose from the fuel tank, then plug the fuel tank air drain hose connection and fuel hose connection of the fuel tank. What am I supposed to plug them with-chewing gum? and how much fuel is going to run out while I'm plugging them. Remember, I've already removed the gas cap to get the speedometer assembly so the gas is going to be coming out pretty fast. BTW, nowhere does it say I'm supposed to drain the fuel tank before I do all of this. Without the wiring diagrams, I can't even check voltages because I have no idea which wires I need to check voltages on. Also, BTW, I retired after 20 years as a computer technician/programmer. Working on the wiring harness should be a walk in the park, but it seems for some reason that Honda doesn't want me to. If anybody has any shortcuts I can take, please let me know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You're welcome. You can already enlarge it on your computer screen. Click on the image to open, then use the ctrl key and roll your mouse wheel at te same time and you will able to read it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately, my computer is not located in the garage where my bike is and I want to have a copy near where I'm working to reference. It only cost 15 cents so now I can post it on the wall for future reference also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts