Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
131st anniversary today of the first Johnstown Flood, of May 31 1889. The earthen breast of the South Fork reservoir, vacation getaways for Carnegie, Frick, and many of the other fatcats of their day, burst after days of constant rain took out the valley of the South Fork of the Conemaugh River, destroying Johnstown, killing thousands, many in the fires of crushed homes and buildings that burned as they dammed up behind the railroad stone bridge bisecting town. I have lived my entire 69 years about 2 mi. south of the flood park on one of the surrounding hills.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Speaking of dam failures:

St. Francis Dam Disaster

I used to ride by this dam failure a lot. San Francisquito Canyon Road was a favorite ride. No police - therefore, no speed limits!

The St. Francis Dam was a curved concrete gravity dam, built to create a large regulating and storage reservoir for the city of Los Angeles, California. The reservoir was an integral part of the city's Los Angeles Aqueduct water supply infrastructure. It was located in San Francisquito Canyon of the Sierra Pelona Mountains, about 40 miles (64 km) northwest of downtown Los Angeles, and approximately 10 miles (16 km) north of the present day city of Santa Clarita.
The dam was designed and built between 1924 and 1926 by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, then named the Bureau of Water Works and Supply. The department was under the direction of its general manager and chief engineer, William Mulholland.

At 11:57 p.m. on March 12, 1928, the dam catastrophically failed, and the resulting flood took the lives of an estimated 431 people at least.[2][3] The collapse of the St. Francis Dam is considered to be one of the worst American civil engineering disasters of the 20th century and remains the second-greatest loss of life in California's history, after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire. The disaster marked the end of Mulholland's career.[4]

Joe T.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts