Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So picked up a Suzi Intruder Saturday for/with my younger brother, it's in OK shape for a 30 year old bike, but for a first bike I think it will be good for him. Not so small he'll outgrow it in a month, but big enough he can use it for a while.

Worst thing about it is the old "U" shaped handlebars, they SUCK when steering at low speed as they pretty much turn into your knees. But I digress.

It has aftermarket pipes, but is otherwise stock. It has a "pop" at idle, so I think one cylinder is too lean. Right now we're waiting on oil/filter to come in and then we'll do plugs and a full tune up. I'm NOT looking forward to messing with the carbs, as I HATE carbs, but at this point I think I know where/how to adjust the air mixture screw. Hopefully that's all it needs and I won't have to remove/clean/rebuild/sync the carbs, because at that point we'll be paying somebody to do it.

It has new tires and a new battery, only other things wrong with it is one blinker doesn't work right, (hoping it just needs a bulb) and the seat is ripped, which we already have a new cover coming in. We found a conversion kit to delete the sissybar, however it's in Germany so we're not sure if we'll be able to get it or not. Time will tell, hopefully he's going to order it Wens when he gets paid.

Anywho, here's a pic! I'm sure in time we'll have more. :mrgreen:

Edit: We realized the mirror side is the same between the Suzi and the Hondas so he now has the stock VTX mirrors on his bike.... I told him they were good for another 15hp since they were from an 1800! LOL!

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
A 4 speed tranny. Later ones had a 5 sp. Front pipes look blue..
Check carb and manifold clamps, rotted hoses.
Big enough to be a keeper..

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 4 speed tranny. Later ones had a 5 sp. Front pipes look blue..
Check carb and manifold clamps, rotted hoses.
Big enough to be a keeper..
Yeah.... I haven't done much troubleshooting yet, as I always do all the research I can first. It does have a Clymer manual, but you can't always trust them, either. My next weekend off I'll probably tear into it more. I definitely suspect the front cylinder/carb to be the one running too lean, as the significantly blued pipe suggests. Either way I can just run it and feel which cylinder is popping.....just need the time to start troubleshooting. :(

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I took the mirrors of my C50 and put them on my Honda VTX. The zukes reach out past my shoulders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts