Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an 06 VTX1300C and we went on our maiden cruise last evening. It’s a smooth ride and has power for highway speeds and passing. I’ve had many bikes and always wanted one of these, I’m not disappointed! Our last bike was a HD UC bagger and we put over 50K on it, the differences are many but not counting radio and storage this bike is more nimble for country roads.
The stock pipes on this bike compared to the Reinharts on the UC are quite a difference, I can hear many things on this bike that I couldn’t on the Harley. The plastic console on the tank rattles and I need to address that, the engine seems to knock a bit at low speeds in 2nd, maybe need to assure higher revs and probably something I need to get used to.1st gear seems rather low and 2nd gear seems a bit high but again I probably need to get used to it more.
Wanted to put in my first impressions, I will do some modifications as time goes on. The riding season is short in Northern Wisconsin but that’s why I could find an 06 with 12,000 miles.
I will most likely change out pipes if anyone has suggestions that would be great, that mod will probably have to include intake changes to accommodate exhaust I would assume.
Thanks for the great forum, have already learned a ton!!!

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
About 1.5" electrical tape,fold it over at the longer sticky sides; folder it over again and
with a pair of dykes cut out a little notch. Slip it over the screws that hold the console
down. Snip to trim the excess. Put screws back on. That took care of my cluster rattle.
Sometimes the speedo unit rattles against the cluster. RTV from inside/underside
of the speedo/console.
I have OEM jets in mine with straight pipes. I removed some of the snorkel.
The next size jet up probably would be right.
There is a "SCAR" mod to lift the needle with a .060 washer in the Step by Step board.
If you open up the airbox you will need to rejet.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Welcome to the VTX world. Be sure you're only using 86/87 octane (or lowest in your area), because all VTXs are low-compression motors. And definitely don't lug it around too much...wind those gears out a little before shifting. You'll get used to it pretty quickly. If you're running the stock air box and filter, a pipe change will not require any mods to the carb, other than maybe tweaking the a/f screw on the bottom of the carb. The 1300 comes from the factory lean for emissions, so if it's never been touched, a little tweak can help if you experience anything abnormal after the exhaust install. If you do add more air, that's when you'll need to do the SCAR mod or a full rejet. What fixed my tank bezel rattle was putting small o-rings on the underside of the bezel in all bolt locations, and also replacing the felt strips in between the speedo housing and the plastic bezel.

BTW, my wife owned an '06 Ultra for four years ('07-'11) and put almost 50K miles on it before she sold it right before our first child was born. She's now jonesing for another one...she bleeds HD from her youth. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 excellent responses, I thank you! I am going to work on that cluster rattle today, it really bugged me, I don’t know how someone put 12K on it without fixing that? I am surprised at using low octane fuel and I did fill it with super so that may be part of the knock. I was keeping the revs low which is probably a habit left over from the UC, I will play with that and get used to it. Thanks for the photos and comments, I appreciate it.
I would never run down the HD UC, we had great trips and it treated me very well, we just don’t go on lead butt trips anymore and the country back roads we wind around for fun are more suited for the VTX. Hey thanks again.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I am surprised at using low octane fuel and I did fill it with super so that may be part of the knock. I was keeping the revs low which is probably a habit left over from the UC, I will play with that and get used to it.
I figured you might be using premium since the UCs require it...hope that clears up the knocking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a few rides and minor tweaks I have come to really like my VTX. The console vibration fix has made the ride exceptionally quieter, the use of regular gas versus premium has reduced the preignition knock and getting used to the rpm curve the bike wants are all major improvements. I installed a pigtail for my smart charger and a spot to plug in a heated jacket.
One thing came up unexpected and luckily right outside my garage. Apparently the nut which holds the gas valve (run/reserve) was not tight and when I started the bike and adjusted the choke I rotated the valve a bit by mistake which disconnected one of the vacuum lines and the engine died and would not restart. Of course I didn’t pick up on the problem right away and caused some head scratching before reading a couple past posts on the forum regarding the problem. Tightening the nut and a couple tywraps solved the problem nicely.
All of these seemingly little problems and solutions came from reading replies or posts here and I truly want to thank everyone for assembling such a great resource!
Ride safe and ride on!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have said this many times The VTX is a good bike and you have the best bunch of people on this forum they are amazing always willing to help i did all my own work with the help of these fine people you just ask a question and you will get many good answers for your problem enjoy the bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts