Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make my warranty stay valid, do I have to have the stealer check my valves at teh 600 mile service? I am sure I can change the oil, check everything else out on my own. Just not sure how to do the valves or what it involves. Basically, do I need the dealer receipt for 1st service for future reference? Havent had to on other bikes in the past, but thought guys who have been through it with the VTX will know more. Thanks.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Opinions are gonna vary on just what the particular dealer does, rumor has it that some dealer techs just listen to the valves , unless its something major I would suggest that you do as much maintainence as you can for peace of mine. As for voiding the warrant youll get more arguments there also ,but I believe major consensus is no, at least thats what my dealer told me(notice I said dealer instead of stealer as I trust mine so far.) Hopefully more will chime in. Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would just like to state that I did my valves last night and it was a total shock for me. I have set valves over the years on just about anything you can imagine but no late model street bikes. The pair valve and water cool and vacuum plumbing is a nightmare. There is just no room. I ended up removing my feeler gauges and then bending and shortening them to make them fit. Also don't even think of holding the top with a small adjustible wrench, there is not enough room. I did not have a 4mm but did find a 5/32 that worked from an old ignition wrench set I had.

One thing that will be comming off mine the next time I have to go into it is the stock air cleaner. The case vent and Pair valve hose are not long enough to hook back up without some time and effort.

Anyway, next time will be easier since I have done it once but the first time is no picknick and if you have the money and a shop you trust it is not a bad thing to have someone else do.

Oh, one more thing. I do not think you can tell anything about the valves just by listening. All of mine were tight except the rear exhaust valve. This one was spot on. I thought mine sounded loud and seemed to quieten or even out after the adjustments.

Thril

·
Registered
282 Posts
Its really not hard at all. It IS tight to get to though! Just don't be in a hurry...take your time and anybody could do it. I'm going to check mine again later today.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i was told when i first bought my bike to bring it back to them at 600 miles and let them do the oil change and valve adjustment or i will void my warrenty ..and the salesman asked if i understood ..i told him yes ..i am a state certified tech on gasoline engines and have been for 14 years so i had no attention on them doing any thing on the bike ..unless somthing failed ..i called honda headquarters and talked about my warrenty i told them what the dealer said..i told them i was going to do the things myself ..she told me just keep oil and filter recepts and most dealers say thet so you give them business ..and if you do it yourself it will not void warrenty ..just keep the recepts ...i have 13000 miles on the bike and never checked the valves yet sound and runs good i will check them this fall but most dealers will just listen to them and charge you for the adjustment ..the real time to be concerned is if you cant hear the valves at all

·
Registered
282 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it is illegal nationwide for any company to require you go to them for service to make your warranty "valid". You just need proof of somekind the work was done.

Similar to how they used to make you send in the warranty registration card on stuff in order for the warranty to be validated. That is now illegal. They do still put little post cards in stuff to try and get personal information from you, but it is NOT required for the warranty.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I would take it back to the dealer, I purchaed from, for the first service round.
Luckily, I have a good dealership to deal with and have done business with them for several years and I have them do all my service.
Yes, I could change fluids, etc. but I like them to keep a recond of service, just in case I need warranty work....
besides, they check everything!!
If you don't know or trust your dealer, then thats another story.
good luck with your bike and take care of it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts