Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my MSF course about 2 months ago after a long hiatus. The VTX kind of grabbed my attention,,,,,, I saw 3 bikes last week and 1 had about 5500 miles. My question is I know this bike has been sitting cold most of its life, doesn’t a machine need to be “ran” periodically to keep fluids in check?

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
A short run periodically is not good.
Engine and exhaust not heated long enough to burn off the condensation, just adds more corrosion. Most all motorcycles are not prepared for storage.
The carburetor usually is clogged with residue from fuel evaporation.
If you crank it, go for a ride.
Welcome to the VTXOA!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A short run periodically is not good.
Engine and exhaust not heated long enough to burn off the condensation, just adds more corrosion. Most all motorcycles are not prepared for storage.
The carburetor usually is clogged with residue from fuel evaporation.
If you crank it, go for a ride.
Welcome to the VTXOA!
Thank you. Maybe if the shop mechanic drains the gas and de gums? I may be overthinking this,retired,get my fish in a box,football,well

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
There are tons of threads about garage queens and whats needed to put them safely back on the road.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I "restored" an '04 1300 at the start of the pandemic. Cleaned the crap out of the carb, several times. Still didn't run right for the longest time.

Finally, took it to the shop where they de-gummed the tank. Been riding like a champ ever since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts