Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating putting 2 " extensions on with stock trees when i go to a 21" front tire... for more of a bobber look...

What will that do to my trail? and will it make the bike "unsafe" at high speeds?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Your bike will only sit up higher in the front, it won't change the geometry of the front end.

You should notice no difference in ride characteristics, except your bike will be able to lean significantly further before scraping anything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I did exactly what you are describing for about 6 months (2" extensions on the stock trees) and about 2000 miles - but I still had the 19" wheel, tho.

It ends up increasing your trail since you've leaned the bike back and effectively increased the rake of the neck a couple of degrees. You can feel the difference in the corners - it takes a bit more countersteering pressure to hold the bike in a bank as the bike kinda resists being turned a bit and wants to go straight. But it is not a very large difference. If you like to ride at freeway speeds, you'll really like it - as the bike rides on rails - stable as a truck in a straight line.

If you like to zig-zag through the twisties, then you probably won't like it - but if you ride it like most people ride cruisers, then you won't mind the subtle change in handling a bit.

I used to have some pics of my bike with the extensions on the stock trees but I've since deleted them (I have 6* trees now).

Edit: I found a pic...

·
Registered
562 Posts
You have done two things to slow the steering down: put the 21" front wheel on and the 2" fork extensions. You would be running about 7 1/2" of trail, great if you want to go in a straight line, not even safe in the twisties. I'm not just plugging my product (maybe a little) but raked triple trees will correct your trail to a very fun 4". Great in the twisties and plenty stable in a straight line.

Glenn

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So either Do the 21" front....

Or the 19" with extensions...

Or do it all with raked trees....

But not two out of three....

Thanks all!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Allow me to revise my earlier post in response to all the rocket scientists on this board...

Adding two inches to the forks without changing anything else will in fact change the trail an insignificant amount and will therefore change the ride characteristics to such a degree that you may not notice the difference, ever.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts