Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General question about half helmets. Most of them come with a visor but I'm wondering if that can be switched out for a full face shield. I'm planning some longer trips this summer and since I don't have a windshield I was thinking of getting a half helmet for emergency rains. :)

I've checked a couple of stores online and they all have helmets and they all have the shields listed. None, however, cross reference each other and say this shield with this helmet. It might be a universal fit siituation and it's just assumed, I don't know so I thought I'd ask here. We don't have a helmet law here so our local stores have a pretty poor selection.

So I guess my questions are. Is it a universal fit? If not does anyone have a place they'd recommend? or does anyone have a helmet/shield combo they can recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

·
Old Goat
24,794 Posts
I cant speak for all of them , but I had a fulmer with detachable visor and shield, the shield would snap onto my daytona, most shields Ive seen have slotted holes for fitment so i guess in theory it might work. You might just think about a full face for them rainy days.:dontknow:good luck on your choice

·
Registered
387 Posts
helmet

I use Harley's Carbon Kevlar helmet with it's own shield I keep shield in saddlebag and put it on for rain.
A better solution would be a full face helmet I have Norton's I keep the shield up and it acts like an awning keeping the rain out of my face I ride with it closed in the colder weather

·
Registered
115 Posts
Some 1/2 helmets have small shields but you asked for a full face shield. In that case you need to buy a 3/4 helmet. Full face shields also snap onto lower part of helmet, 1/2 helmets don't go down far enough to have those snaps. Without lower snaps shield would be flopping around at higher speeds and not safe.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh ok. I have a full face helmet but it's just so big, especially when packing other clothes. I figured a half helmet would fit in the bag better. I guess I'll have to just go with that :(

·
Old Goat
24,794 Posts
Some 1/2 helmets have small shields but you asked for a full face shield. In that case you need to buy a 3/4 helmet. Full face shields also snap onto lower part of helmet, 1/2 helmets don't go down far enough to have those snaps. Without lower snaps shield would be flopping around at higher speeds and not safe.
All I can speak to is my fulmer did not have bottom snaps, just a row across the top and it didnt flop around,course I never drive a 100 so what do I know.JUst my .02 good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take a look at the Scorpion EXO-100. Its a half helmet with zip-out ear flaps (for cooler weather) and a retractable shield that isn't full face, but covers the important parts when it rains. The visor is available in several colors, including clear. I have this helmet and use it regularly in the hot summers here in Oklahoma. Price isn't half bad either. I don't remember if I bought it here, but it is available at this site: www.streetbikerider.com/h-helmets/scorpion/pr-helmets-scorpion-cruiser-2009-exo-100-solid.htm

·
Old Goat
24,794 Posts
Take a look at the Scorpion EXO-100. Its a half helmet with zip-out ear flaps (for cooler weather) and a retractable shield that isn't full face, but covers the important parts when it rains. The visor is available in several colors, including clear. I have this helmet and use it regularly in the hot summers here in Oklahoma. Price isn't half bad either. I don't remember if I bought it here, but it is available at this site: www.streetbikerider.com/h-helmets/scorpion/pr-helmets-scorpion-cruiser-2009-exo-100-solid.htm
I had one of these and its a friggin cool design and great helmet, I just couldnt find one that worked on my big ole mellon, if I ever find a dealer local where I can get a proper fit , its on the list.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
you can get one that is a full or a half face shield for any helmet as long as it has the snaps across the top for a visor or install yourself most bike accessory stores have them, I have a half helmet and I like the half shield, just enough to cover eyes an nose.I like being able to hear the cagers around me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had one of these and its a friggin cool design and great helmet, I just couldnt find one that worked on my big ole mellon, if I ever find a dealer local where I can get a proper fit , its on the list.:thumbup:
www.webbikeworld.com This a cool site with lots of info on helmet fitment and reviews

·
Registered
391 Posts
Scorpion exo-100

Love this helmet--also available at Leatherup.com at a very good price.

G

·
0 Posts
All I can speak to is my fulmer did not have bottom snaps, just a row across the top and it didnt flop around,course I never drive a 100 so what do I know.JUst my .02 good luck
:agree:

I have two half helmets, different makes, and both have three snaps across the top. I have a face shield that snaps on and covers my whole face, and lifts up. I've never had it "flop around"...in fact, as speed increases, it seems to be more stable...the pressure of the wind on it presses it down. (I have a wind shield, but there still is some air flow on my face.) I seldom wear it, though....it is too warm in the summer time, and since I wear goggles and a wind shield I have eye protection.

I also have a full face helmet that I use for winter riding...it's just too hot for me in the summer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've never had it "flop around"...
I suspect he was referring to a 5-snap shield on a 3-snap helmet. It does flop around. Don't ask how I know this.:oops:

But + another on the Scorpion EXO-100. I rode from Ocean City, MD to St. Louis last month in the rain or drizzle. Absolutely loved my Scorpion helmet. Kind of pi$$ed that I dropped it in Dodge City. Ah well, had to get a scratch at some point...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I picked up an HJC FS2 half helmet earlier this year off ebay for only $30 shipped. It was brand new with the decorative visor having come loose. I just replaced the 3M tape that holds it down, done deal. Its the competition for the Scorpion EXO-100. The HJC has an optional removable visor vs the EXO-100's built in visor.

Regardless, both are mushroom heads. The HJC is built very well, is light weight, has the zip out ears and neck as well as a ventilation system. Of course, I still wear my beat up skid lid as ive yet to go over 100 miles on the X for a single trip.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If your helmet has 3 snaps on front you can get a full shield w/visor. Only very high speed does it move. Been using one for years,usually run about 16 - 20 bucks. can also get a short version. nitemike:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts