Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need my 600 mile tune up, but I have no money. When my classes are done I will be better off, but for now, im broke and my X is my only transportation. What should I do? Talked to a serveice shop, over 200 for a tune up. Can I just do everything myself, and then just have the valve adjusted? I want to go for a ride right now but shiiiat. Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
First thing I would do is change the oil. See if there is any metal in it. Then ride it for a few more hundred miles then have the inspection when you get your next paycheck.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I don't know about a VTX but when I had my Shadow Aero, I went 1100 miles before the first visit. Didn't hurt it at all. BTW, mine is also due for it's break-in service but I can't seem to bring myself to leave it for 2 days! 8)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am a student, so I dont really have a paycheck coming. My first one went 1100 miles too before the first check up. They told me its better to go longer then get ir done too early. Now the question, type of oil??

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well, I did the oilchange on time, but I now have 1200 miles and havn't touched the valves yet. I will get around to it this weekend hopefully as the weather is supposed to be bad so I won't be out riding. I have noticed the valvers are alittle louder than when it was new, but it still runs fine and I'm sure it will be fine as long as I take care of things soon.

BTW, I'm not advocating extended sessions between maint, just telling you my experience.

George

·
Registered
74 Posts
I changed my oil at 550, 1200, 2500 and then I rolled into my Honda dealer and said "Here I am for my 600 mile valve adjustment"..I had 2950 on her at the time and she ran like a top, no noise, etc. When I got her out from the valve adjustment they said only one valve was a little tight but rest were ok....

NR8X :shock:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Change the oil and filter yourself. When you are good and ready go to the dealer and say "check the valve clearance". They will do it for 1.3 hrs labor which is just over 100 buckaroos.

Most important is to dump the original oil after 5 or 600 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got my 600 mi done. No adjustments to the vavles were required. This is pretty typical. I think the inspection is more a precaution. I agree and oil change is an excellent idea.

The dealer told me that anywhere between 600 to 1000 miles is ok for the service. I had mine done at 815.

Good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
dealer said 1000mi bring it in

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
shop around,I found a Honda dealer that adjust my valves for 50.00,another rider Iknow payed about 70.00. I changed the oil at 600 and had the valves done at 1200.One was just a little out.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I too ride mine as my only transportation. Imagine my dealers suprise as I rolled in, 6 days after purchase with 1100 miles already, to get my 600 mile service. I don't know how far my valves were out, but I did notice the difference. 4 1/2 months later, I am having someone show me how to adjust my valves tomorrow, so I can do it myself. Just rolled 8000 yesterday.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Changed my oil at 600,3100, & finally got the valves checked at 5,000.All were okay at that time.Almost 22,000 now & still need to get the full famous 600 mile checkup done.Just my experience,so take it for what it is worth.Traded my wife's 700 Shadow off a couple of years ago at 45,000 miles & still hadn't got around to that 600 mile checkup either,but you didn't have to mess with the #%^& valves on it.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Change the oil/filter, final drive oil and check bolts, screws, fasteners, etc at 600 mi point or close to it. dealer service isnt more than that anyway (if that). shouldnt need a valve adjustment check until 8,000, 16,000, and 24,000 mil point according to the manual anyway. :twisted:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Change the oil, look at the plugs. Most valves I have found are good some are tight. A tight valve could cause a hard starting prob. Just ride it and get the valve check done on the 3rd service. And yes I am a Honda wrench. Lets keep that to this room.

·
Registered
133 Posts
which bolts, nuts are most prone to loosening up that are usually tightened during the 600 mile check up? Is there a link to that here on the site? I have ck'd the exhaust bolts, radiator hoses, some misc. allen bolts... anything in particular that is an absolute must to check?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts