Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200 Metz and even with proper tire pressure this thing is no mileage king. So what else is anyone running on the C (200) that has a matching front. Maybe another 5 weeks and my 200 will need to be replaced.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that the Battle Axe?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Go with the 'Stone

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2wheelsforme said:
My Battleaxe wore out just as fast as the Metz did or maybe faster.
Well thanks for that bad news :lol: Guess I gotta learn to ease up on the throttle........or maybe a part time job for tires. Not going to the darkside because I'm scared of the dark :(

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I'm using the Battleax on the 1800. Haven't had it long enough to comment on mileage but, I really like the way it handles the turns. I like the 4" contact patch too. It does track uneven road surfaces, wants to throw me sideways. Got the Metz for the promo so I'll be trying it next.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I haven't had my battlax long enough yet to comment on wear either, but I can say that the stiffer sidewalls handle better than the Metz my buddy has--in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I've gotten from the low 10's to 16k on the AXE's I've run so far on my X. Matter of fact I had expected to wear out the last one mid last summer. I still have 3 - 4 k of thread left on it.

But then I haven't rode the X since June 17, 2006. :wink: Most know why.

Tejas

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
The only Metz I ever ran lasted just about 5000 miles. (yeah, I'm a bit heavy on the throttle.) Wasn't going that route again. Got the Axe, and have @ 4000 on it so far with hardly any signs of wear. It's shapeing up to be a great tire. When I wear it out, I hope to give an update. But then again, Avon's 200 60 16 is supposed to be available in September, so I may go back to the Venom X.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Used the Avons on the 13 and liked them. Looks like I might give the Axe's a try. The Metz is just not working as far as mileage is concerned.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Tyre History On My VTX

Rear Tyres
Original Dunlop = 5.5K miles. Completly wore out.
Metzler 200 = 7.5 K miles. Completly wore out.
BattleAxe = 12 K miles. Completly wore out.
Avon 200x55x18 on a spec 3 F-wheel = 5 K miles so far including a wide open throttle, 2,880 mile, round trip to the VTX Gathering and the Dragon and no significant evidence of wear.

Front Tyres
Original Dunlop = 5.5 K miles. Completly wore out.
Metzler = 7.5 K miles had some life left in it but changed at the same time as the rear tyre.
Metzler = 12 K miles completly wore out.
Avon = 5 K miles so far including a wide open throttle, 2,880 mile, round trip to the VTX Gathering and the Dragon and no significant evidence of wear.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
you guys posting numbers.

god bless you.

after the first few posts, i was laughing my arse off.

let's talk about tires and mileage, but let's not mention any numbers! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I run a Axe on mine and so far I'm very happy with it. Just make sure you keep an eye on air pressure. the first one I had I only got about 7000 miles out of it....I was running 42 pounds of pressure and blew the center out...also had a broken rear shock which didn't help.....so far on this one I have 3000 miles and it still looks great. I only ride mike bike around 8000 miles a year so I really don't mind changing it once a year....$140 for piece of mind is pretty cheap.

Oh, Avon already makes a 200/60/16.......Dpeerlyhas had hers for a few thousand miles now and really likes it. I was going to order it last fall but I was a little concerned because there is a small strip down the center with no groovs....she said she has had no problems with it in the rain or anything.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
fev1969 said:
I run a Axe on mine and so far I'm very happy with it. Just make sure you keep an eye on air pressure. the first one I had I only got about 7000 miles out of it....I was running 42 pounds of pressure and blew the center out...also had a broken rear shock which didn't help.....so far on this one I have 3000 miles and it still looks great. I only ride mike bike around 8000 miles a year so I really don't mind changing it once a year....$140 for piece of mind is pretty cheap.

Oh, Avon already makes a 200/60/16.......Dpeerlyhas had hers for a few thousand miles now and really likes it. I was going to order it last fall but I was a little concerned because there is a small strip down the center with no groovs....she said she has had no problems with it in the rain or anything.
Avon does make a 200 60 16, but it is not a Venom series. It is a touring series tire and does not offer the same level of traction that the Venoms do. The Venom X series 200 is supposed to be released in September.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
I had a 200 Battle X on my old C wheels and I loved that tire I put on about 4000 miles before I sold it. I now have a 200 Metz on my F wheels with about 2000 miles on it and I got to say i think I liked the bridgestone better, but I did make some drastic changes to my bike over the winter so... If bridgestone ever comes out with a 200 to fit the F wheel, be assured it will go on my bike!

Like has been stated watch your air pressure closely on the stone. I would say 36-39 one up 40-42 two up :wink:

FYI I still run the bridgestone up front!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been told to run lower pressure in the Axe (mid 30) is this something to make the center last longer?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This is a good thread for me. I just bought my bike last week and it has a Metz 200 on it. The seller said it had 200 miles on it when I bought it. Since I've never had a cruiser, I'm interested in milages and handling issues.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
I've been told to run lower pressure in the Axe (mid 30) is this something to make the center last longer?
I run 35 pounds of pressure reguardless of solo or 2 up......so far after 3000 miles the tire looks great.......after 3000 miles on my first Axe (42 pounds air) the center was already starting to bulge and wear. The tire was desighned for the valk which is already a heavier bike than the 1300.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts