Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have 2001 VTX1800R. I pulled the bike out of storage this past weekend and the bike fired up as usually. I took for about 30 minute ride but I noticed a coolant smell when I pulled up to stoplight. I immediately headed back home to check it out. I searched all over and I couldn't find a leak anywhere. I fired the it back up and I noticed the smell but once again there were no signs of a leak. Does anyone know if there is gasket or something else I should look at? This is my first real issue I have had with this bike in since I bought 10 years ago. I keep up on the maintenance and it just continues to keep on running.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
You smell it because it is being heated up into steam therefor you won't see it. So start looking where the coolant would drip onto something hot. I had the same and it was the hoses running between the cylinders and the clamps were loose. I tightened them up and no more smell.

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
The VTX model was sold as a 2002, not 2001. Although depending when you bought it it could be titled as a 2001. Look on the bottom left side under the big side cover for a water pump 'weep hole'. When the pump starts to go bad, they will leak a bit there. I agree check all hoses & clamps. I began changing all my coolant hoses last year, although I didn't get them all changed. I would NEVER run an automobile for 17-18 years w/o changing coolant hoses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts