Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, VTXers, from Southern Nevada.

I just picked up a 2002 1800C in great condition, and with only 4K miles, from a seller who was experiencing a medical emergency in his family. I'm glad that my purchase of his bike helped him to address that situation.

The last power cruiser that I owned was a 1997 Honda Valkyrie two decades ago. I rode a couple of adventure bikes since then. This should be an interesting power cruiser experience with a different Honda product.

The bike is basically stock, which gives me a blank canvas to work with and personalize. Something that I always prefer with the bikes that I pick up.

First order of business is to address a leaking left fork seal, though. Looking forward to learning the do's and don't of that and other procedures here.

Rubber side down, y'all.

P.S. I ride ATGATT. The brain bucket in the pic belonged to the previous owner. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
63,727 Posts
Welcome; Do these items right away before riding;

1. Change the Fuel Pressure Regulator or FPR. If the previous owner did not tell you he replaced this, change it as they fail due to age, not mileage. When the FPR fails it allows too much fuel into the combustion chambers and the excess fuel washes down the cylinder walls into the engine case thinning the oil and will cause the engine to fail. Once you change the FPR, change the oil and ride around the block. Then change the oil again to be sure you got all the fuel out of the case. Here's how to do the change; https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/carbs-fuel-injection/vtx1800-fuel-pressure-regulator/

2. Do the "Ground Fix" as seen on our How Top;Step-by-Step board you only have to do the "Common Electronics Ground" section https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/97-1800-section/335196-1800-ground-fix-tapper.html

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
With only 4000 miles on it, you should check the tires to see if they are original and replace them asap if they are. Because a lot of these bikes are 10 to 18 years old with no miles on them, they often still have the 15 year old tires that came on it. Welcome from New Mexico

·
Registered
11,733 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Welcome to the VTXASG (VTX Addition Support Group) .... where we gladly support each other's addiction. :D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Welcome aboard. You have a NOS bike per se. Mines an 03. Some maintenance and TLC. You have a good solid bike that will be around for a while. I enjoy mine every weekend.

·
Old Goat
25,150 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts