Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2002 vtx that runs awesome. I recently aquired a stock 2007, and the 2002 will smoke it. Is there something they did at the factory to detune the newer ones? I have done all of the regular checks, plugs, air filter, fuel, etc... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
fork springs are upgraded after 05 as well. Other than that they're are the same bike. In my time as a VTX owner it's become my opinion that these bikes have a little bit of personality. Some are stronger than others with the exact same setup. Some get better mpg's than others, again with the same setup. Why?...I dunno.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input everyone. To answer the last question, the 02 is a C model and the 07 is an N model. I just remembered back in the 80's when they introduced the Magna 1100, after I think 83 they detuned them to no be so fast so that is kinda what made me wonder if they did the same here. I was wanting to make sure they both ran strong before I started any other upgrades. :lol:

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. To answer the last question, the 02 is a C model and the 07 is an N model. I just remembered back in the 80's when they introduced the Magna 1100, after I think 83 they detuned them to no be so fast so that is kinda what made me wonder if they did the same here. I was wanting to make sure they both ran strong before I started any other upgrades. :lol:
The C is lighter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How are you saying "smoke it". Is there really that big a difference that you can tell without a doubt that they are different? I am not saying your wrong and I am definitely not calling you a liar because I also agree with the "personality" statement. I have to say though that speed and performance are so hard to hit spot on without an exact dyno run on the same day or 2 back to back trips down a quarter mile with the same rider. An example would be my stock vtx before and after the desmog - I would tell you that it maid a night and day difference in performance but I know the only real change was little different exhuast tone. Also I think about my old truck with flow masters before and after. I thought it was tons faster but waisted so much more gas - again only real difference was sound but I drove way different for a while. I know I'm comparing apples to plums here but just asking if it's that huge a difference in them.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
I have a stock 2002 vtx that runs awesome. I recently aquired a stock 2007, and the 2002 will smoke it. Is there something they did at the factory to detune the newer ones? I have done all of the regular checks, plugs, air filter, fuel, etc... Thanks.
Simple, the 2002 is an 1800 while the 2007 is a 1300

1 - 7 of 7 Posts