Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my plugs 2000 miles ago and my bike it starting to act like it was before I changed my plugs. The bike run rougher at times and smell like gas when idling, smell worse after the motor is has been running a while. When I removed the old plugs 3 where black/wet and one would have been ok. Someone told me that these bike came from the factory with too short of ignition wires, anybody heard of that?

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
Umm, nope. What is the part number on the plugs you're using? If it's the IFR6L11 then you should go up one heat range to the IFR5L11 as this plug is in the 2003 VTX's to combat plug fouling. You should also be running 87 octane fuel, any higher and you're only adding to the fouling problem as the VTX was designed to run on 87. You should also tighten up your battery cables and do the ground fix paying special attention to the "Common Electronics Ground" section as seen on the VTXOA Garage site http://tech.vtxoa.com

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://www.vtx1300tips.com/ another fellow VTX Riders site.

There is also a helpful red Search icon at the top of every page(not the Google search)
Search Query section
Search for Key Words;__________________________

Below that click on the "Search for All Terms" button, effectively unchecking the default selection of "Search for any terms or use query as entered"

Search Options section
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"

That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....

Now that you have a list of threads you've searched for, do not just click on the thread you want to read. Instead RIGHT click on the thread and select "Open in New Window" This will pop up a new window with that thread in it, leaving your searched list intact for you to go back to.

The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28918

Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
The 2002 bikes came from the factory with cooler plugs than the later years.
You shoould be running NGK iridium IFR5L11 plugs
or NGK BCPR5EP-11

The IFR 6 series plugs are cooler running and
IFR 7 series is even colder.

or DENSO VK16PRZ11 plugs.
The VK 20 series is cooler
and vk22 series even colder

Some folks are happy running Bosch Platinum 4 4419 plugs
but most folks running Bosch plugs prefer the 4418 plugs

I would avoid using Champion sparkplugs no matter how low they
might be priced. Their quality control is terrible.
I have had electodes break off the plugs and
even had the ceramic insulator blow out of the center of the plugs.
I will never use Champions again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hotter Plugs

I have actually when to a hotter plug, it solved the problem but now it is coming back. When I start it if I give it a couple shots of gas it backfires and last time out, it backfired a few time when downshifting to stop at street signals. It also did the same thing witht e original factory plugs, my bike only has 8,000 km on her.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Check the fuel pressure regulator. I've had good results with the 4418's myself and I rotate them when the bike starts to get sluggish.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just Changed plugs

Changed out plugs to 4418 will have to see how they work out. One thing to remember make sure you use anti seize on them
:yikes:Don't be a dumb azz like me and put electrical grease on them coz I didn't read packet first:yikes:

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have been running the stock plugs in my 2002 retro and I have had no problems with fouling, I changed the first set around 8000 miles and the second set is still going @ 11,000 miles. You may want to check your fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
315 Posts
Along with defective fuel pressure regulators there have been problems with the fuel return hose from the regulator back to the tank. If the hose is kinked or restricting fuel flow in some way it may cause excessive fuel pressure to the injectors.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Why would you say this ?? If the cross reference tells you to use the 4419 for all bikes except the 2002 .
I have used the 4419 since the first plug change and am very happy with them . Most folks do not prefer the 4418

The 2002 bikes came from the factory with cooler plugs than the later years.
You shoould be running NGK iridium IFR5L11 plugs
or NGK BCPR5EP-11

The IFR 6 series plugs are cooler running and
IFR 7 series is even colder.

or DENSO VK16PRZ11 plugs.
The VK 20 series is cooler
and vk22 series even colder

Some folks are happy running Bosch Platinum 4 4419 plugs
but most folks running Bosch plugs prefer the 4418 plugs

I would avoid using Champion sparkplugs no matter how low they
might be priced. Their quality control is terrible.
I have had electodes break off the plugs and
even had the ceramic insulator blow out of the center of the plugs.
I will never use Champions again.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Why would you say this ?? If the cross reference tells you to use the 4419 for all bikes except the 2002 .
I have used the 4419 since the first plug change and am very happy with them . Most folks do not prefer the 4418
If I remember correctly, the 4419 is a hot plug, the 4418 is the stock plug and the 4417 is a cold plug. There's about a 70 degree combustion chamber temperature difference between the 4419-4418 and the 4418-4417.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
This would be a good place to look to make sure you remember correctly

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/plugs/

The 4418 would be the proper plug for a 2002 only. The 4419 is the proper plug for 2003 and later ..the 4417 has never been mentioned as proper to use in the 6-7 years i have been reading this forum.
In the 2002 model some of us did have fouling problems and by 03 a lot of us with 2002 bikes were already running the 4419 plugs.
Then someone noticed that 03 bikes were coming with a hotter plug and when it wass cross referenced it was a 4419.
I see no reason to ever use 4417 or 4418 as honda does not use that cold of plug in any vtx1800 since 2003

If I remember correctly, the 4419 is a hot plug, the 4418 is the stock plug and the 4417 is a cold plug. There's about a 70 degree combustion chamber temperature difference between the 4419-4418 and the 4418-4417.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I just changed my plugs 2000 miles ago and my bike it starting to act like it was before I changed my plugs. The bike run rougher at times and smell like gas when idling, smell worse after the motor is has been running a while. When I removed the old plugs 3 where black/wet and one would have been ok. Someone told me that these bike came from the factory with too short of ignition wires, anybody heard of that?
the other good question would be is your bike stock??
any airbox and pipe mods????
do you have a PCIII installed??

these questions can also be a factor..if none of above..then as previous..
change out the plugs and stick to 87 octane ...it should help..

·
Registered
115 Posts
how about the ground fix?

now I see everyone talking about the plugs, but wasn't there a ground fix that would help, so that you wouldn't miss fire and cause the foul plugs? Maybe first check and see if you have done all the ground fixes first. That may help some of the fouling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is the fuel pressure regulator

Just changed mine, same problem you were having, bike runs perfect! Very easy fix, thanks to this forum!:thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.