Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body out there know the paint code for the color Illusion Blue on a 2002 Vtx1800C?

Also,
I have to repaint the rear fender,is there a color pretty close or exact match to the stock coor Illusion Blue instead of Honda's Brand?
Thanks for the information
-Tim
[email protected]

·
Registered
488 Posts
P44P

Bend over...it ain't gonna be cheap....

Been there, done that...

·
Registered
488 Posts
According to Color Rite's site, the Base Coat and Top Coat each is $115 a pint, and $180 a quart.. That's just the paint. Then you're going to need reducer, primer, clear coat, etc....

You might be able to get by with just a pint for the whole bike....

Per Color Rite's site...

For Primer, Clear, Reducer, Base Coat, Top Coat, (PINTS) = $330
For Printer, Clear, Reducer, Base Coat, Top Coat, (QUART) = $500

I think I might have seen something about PPG being able to match it for less.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have an 03 with the same color, anyone know if it is the same?
i was talking to a paint shop and he told me that most of motorcycle's paint is a "3 stage"
is this color a 2 stage or 3 stage paint? i hope p44p mean a 4 stage paint job,cause he told me 2 cost more than 3 and if is 4 i will need to bring lube to bend over for this one :lol:

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

Color-wrong sucks and costs way too much. Do yourself a favor and get the paint from Extreme. A pint reduced (depending on the brand) will yield around 2 pints sprayable. Most basecoats are 1:1, so that makes 2 pints sprayable.

They are often referred to as "tri-coats" which is a basecoat, a midcoat, and a clear coat. IMHO, that's misleading, because a clear coat is clear, it's not a color coat and shouldn't count. Sometimes (but not often) you can make a simple basecoat that looks like the "tri" coat you're trying to match.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Paint Color

Check Color Rite

http://www.colorrite.com/CRPLfactoryCol ... eField.y=6
Example; Year: 2003 Make: Honda Model(s): VTX1800S Retro,

Code Paint Name Comment Color Chip ColorRite Top ColorRite Base
YR236M Candy Jupiter Orange 2922 1022
NH469M Stream Silver Metallic 2775-1
P44P Pearl Chromium Purple (Illusion Blue) 2980 1980
R274 Candy Durango Red 2947 1047
NH1Z Gloss Black 2005

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: ......

BDsbigZRX said:
Color-wrong sucks and costs way too much. Do yourself a favor and get the paint from Extreme. A pint reduced (depending on the brand) will yield around 2 pints sprayable. Most basecoats are 1:1, so that makes 2 pints sprayable.

They are often referred to as "tri-coats" which is a basecoat, a midcoat, and a clear coat. IMHO, that's misleading, because a clear coat is clear, it's not a color coat and shouldn't count. Sometimes (but not often) you can make a simple basecoat that looks like the "tri" coat you're trying to match.

Hope that helps.
thanks for your reply. so is the illusion blue a tri coats? i want an exact match as our original paint.

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

if you get it from Color-wrong (I call them that because the 3 times I've tried to use them the color was not even close) it'll be a base and a mid coat. if you get it from Extreme it'll be a simple 1 part basecoat, as I understand it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts