Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
VIN Secquential Number 001504, I guess I am safe on this one, I will look at it anyway.

Thanks Chicago-Spike, you da man :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I called the 888 toll free number today. The gentleman took my VIN and then he told me there was a recall for the kickstand and didn't have a clue as to any other recall with my VIN,and my VIN is in the group with the problem posted with the swingarm. Apparentally the right hand doesn't know what the other is doing.:dontknow:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I spoke with my local Honda dlr that Mother Honda said to get ahold of. They told me the kickstand wasn't nothing but the spring.Also told me to call them back on the 24th as theres nothing from Honda yet on the swingarm? I sure don't understand the lightness expressed by the local honda service mgr. on my bike falling over if there is a recall on the kickstand.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The kickstand doesn't fall off - it falls down. The tall "bolt" that the spring attaches two may break (at the washer - I believe the official culprit) allowing the kickstand to fall down and turn off the engine, or more of a concern, may not allow you to make a left turn. Happened to me on a cross-country trip long ago, 750 miles from home. I used a bungee cord to hold it up till I could get home and fix it. It was a pain in the a$$ to untie that bungie everytime I wanted to put the kickstand down, but it worked and I made it home.

Todd

·
Registered
881 Posts
i think i better have mine checked out vin number 007512 thats pretty close
It is likely as far away as any other VIN outside of the range. As stated in the recall, Honda has narrowed it down to the ranges listed by looking at their manufacturing records, which will point to a specific vendor of the part or a suspect process for those ranges. Anything outside the ranges were likely welded at a completely different shop, or at a different time with a different machine, etc. If your VIN is outside the range, they likely won't even take the time to inspect it, they'll just turn you away and tell you you're not part of the recall.

At least that's what I'd do. Anyone that works in a manufacturing environment with a lot of Quality Control and record keeping will tell you the same thing. Whether you're one digit out of the range or ten thousand digits out, you're just as far away from having a problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My last six digits are 000429. I think I am safe but I want to throw it out there to the guys more knowledgable. Thanks Kodiac :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
881 Posts
My last six digits are 000429. I think I am safe but I want to throw it out there to the guys more knowledgable. Thanks Kodiac :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
You're safe...as am I with 000485.

People, this isn't that difficult. If your last six digits fall into one of the two ranges listed in the notice, then you're subject to the recall, otherwise get out there and ride and stop worrying about it.

·
Super Moderator
63,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You're safe...as am I with 000485.

People, this isn't that difficult. If your last six digits fall into one of the two ranges listed in the notice, then you're subject to the recall, otherwise get out there and ride and stop worrying about it.
:agree: Yep, it's not like they just tossed out some numbers and said "These should cover it, I guess" ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Took mine in and got a clean bill of health on the swingarm,they called it the differential though. My local dealer said the recall on the kickstand was not honored by Honda anymore? Thats it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey guys ... you will be notified by Honda if you bike is effected. I just did.
Provided you are the original owner...or that Honda knows you've taken over ownership, which isn't always the case.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i got a recall notice in the mail,took my bike in and they said they had to remove pipes and pull the swingarm to check it. left it with them and was called about 5 hours later said it was ok.when i picked it up i was told there guys could measure it without removal?i dont think it was that ez or honda would not have told them it required removal.any one else have a bike checked out?XX

·
Registered
7 Posts
When the robot has a bad day...

The pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/softtubby/

The NHTSA report.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm?odi_ids=10248795&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true&refurl=email

My hope is no one gets hurt. I didn't. I believe it is isolated, but next time you have a few minutes check your welds. The first tell tale is leaking final drive seal. The bearing gets side loaded and eats the seal.

I think Honda is doing the right thing.

I'm the second owner of this bike.

Any questions.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine doesn't fall in the range of Vin #'s.... Thanks Spike for the notification!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not Honda's discretion or does it matter the type of tire. The prolblem is a cold weld, a defective part. The weld should be stronger than the metal around it.
Inspect your welds. I had the driveshaft chrome piece hiding mine, and I bought it used. Leaking differential and large back tire torque/twist are tell tales.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts