Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some options of different tire brands. currently i have a Metzler 200/60/R16 on my bike. looks great but wanted to see what other options for brand and size will fit my bike and what is good vs bad other than tire wear. I know the wear isn't always the greatest.

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
200 is it without modifying your swingarm

Avon
Bridgestone
Dunlop Elite3

Pick one, they all are better than the OEM Dunlop, all about the same as your MEtzeler. Each brand has followers, there is no clear "#1"

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200 is it without modifying your swingarm

Avon
Bridgestone
Dunlop Elite3

Pick one, they all are better than the OEM Dunlop, all about the same as your MEtzeler. Each brand has followers, there is no clear "#1"

The bridgestone i found was a exedra max radial. quite a bit cheaper than the others. is there something not right about that tire that makes the price so much different?

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
The bridgestone i found was a exedra max radial. quite a bit cheaper than the others. is there something not right about that tire that makes the price so much different?
It's simply marketing and making a profit. Metzler is too damn proud of their tires IMO. I've run the Bridgestone Exedra Max on my bike and it's every bit as good of a tire as all of the others. No matter what brand of tire you get you'll be lucky to get 7,000 miles out of it. That's why I went to the Darkside.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little behiend the curve i guess.... What's "the Darkside"
also the other tires say their rated for 140mph i can't find the rating for this one... as my bike has this love to hit triple digits every once in a while ....:yikes:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
runnin on the darkside is what they call it when you put a car tire on the back of your bike lots of us do it and it is a good altenitive to a bike tire less expensive good handleing and lasts a LOT longer . here is a pic of my sons 1800c with a 205 60 16 michilen hydro edge on the back. my self i run a goodyear on my bike. just click the arrow on the pic to enlarge it. the black bike is my sons 1800 the red one is my 1300

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I'm very interested in this. How is the handleing with a car tire? and I'm already running a 200 tire do I need to modify the fender or anything else? how long does the car tire usually last?

·
Registered
915 Posts
runnin on the darkside is what they call it when you put a car tire on the back of your bike lots of us do it and it is a good altenitive to a bike tire less expensive good handleing and lasts a LOT longer . here is a pic of my sons 1800c with a 205 60 16 michilen hydro edge on the back. my self i run a goodyear on my bike. just click the arrow on the pic to enlarge it. the black bike is my sons 1800 the red one is my 1300
I think i will go Hydoedge.Both look awesome.Both handle about the same?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
no mods needed tire will fit no problem, and will last 30 to 40 thousand miles. the tire on the red bike had over 10 thousand miles on it when that pic was taken still looks new.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appriciate the info! I noticed in another thread you run the beads in your tires to. I will have to look into that as well. sounds interesting, And. I Love the rake you got on your bike!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
thanks . it was fun puting it all together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts