Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 1800 wont start no fire it seems it has been sitting a bit any clues to why ? what to look for ect hadnt been riding the bike much at all but was starting it im charging battery now was thinking of removing air box and spaying some cleaner in there yay or nay any info will be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Do not spray cleaner into the intake UNLESS you know it is safe to use on the Moly coating in the throttle body.

Do you have Fuel Pump Prime???

Sitting a bit??? Years???

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Spark, fuel, compression. Which one is missing? Test for spark. That's an easy 'yes or no'. Is the fuel pump running? Another easy one. If the starter effort sounds the same as you remember you can likely rule out loss of compression. If you have spark, and the fuel pump is running, the problem lies downstream of the fuel pump outlet (pressure). Either no signal to the injectors or no fuel (or enough pressure) present at them. And yeah, like Hans said, don't spray stuff into the throttle body.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doesnt sound like th
Spark, fuel, compression. Which one is missing? Test for spark. That's an easy 'yes or no'. Is the fuel pump running? Another easy one. If the starter effort sounds the same as you remember you can likely rule out loss of compression. If you have spark, and the fuel pump is running, the problem lies downstream of the fuel pump outlet (pressure). Either no signal to the injectors or no fuel (or enough pressure) present at them. And yeah, like Hans said, don't spray stuff into the throttle body.
doesnt sound like the fuel pump is running light goes off but cant hear the pump ?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
I saw Larry aka C-spike had posted on the FB page.
It could be locked up, gummed up.
I would test it at the tank connector first..
You can pull the plug from the tank and give the pump some +12v and a Ground and see what happens.
There were a few that replaced the pump motor. A lot cheaper than the Honda replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do not spray cleaner into the intake UNLESS you know it is safe to use on the Moly coating in the throttle body.

couple of months sitting cant hear the fuel pump prime fuel light comes on and turns off

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw Larry aka C-spike had posted on the FB page.
It could be locked up, gummed up.
I would test it at the tank connector first..
You can pull the plug from the tank and give the pump some +12v and a Ground and see what happens.
There were a few that replaced the pump motor. A lot cheaper than the Honda replacement.
where is the tank connector and what do u test you say pull the plug is that for the electric when you say gummed locked up what does one do to unclog thanks

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
You know where the FP is?? Besides hoses there are 3wires and a connector.
Green is ground.
Brown/Black is for the fuel level sensor.
Solid Brown is the FP +12v wire.
Give the FP some battery and Ground and see what happens...

Gummed up/locked armature. I have heard of people rapping the FP
and it started running again. Usually the later 1800... Worth a try.

Gasohol - gas and ethanol separate. Ethanol absorbs moisture.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know where the FP is?? Besides hoses there are 3wires and a connector.
Green is ground.
Brown/Black is for the fuel level sensor.
Solid Brown is the FP +12v wire.
Give the FP some battery and Ground and see what happens...

Gummed up/locked armature. I have heard of people rapping the FP
and it started running again. Usually the later 1800... Worth a try.

Gasohol - gas and ethanol separate. Ethanol absorbs moisture.
where is the fuel pump ? underneath the tank ? gasahol just add to the tank or empty the tank first ? i can hear a clicking just no whiring sound thanks for your help

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so would i take a jumper to the solid brown from battery and a another jumper to the green ?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Pump is in the tank. Do you have a meter or 12v test light? Check for voltage at the fuel pump connector. Or, as Hans suggested, jump power and ground directly to fuel pump. Not talking about adding alcohol. Reference is to the alky in the fuel when we buy it (most states), typically 10%.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

[/QUOTE
no fuel pump prime power commander has green light when putting power to it when i disconnect the plug leave everything else connected ? also im good with electrical so i just want to be clear hit it with like a battery charger ?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Disconnect the 3 pin connector, Just use the battery to test if the FP runs.. Two jumper wires,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts