Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No fuel manager. I took it off a couple of years back.

Sent from my SUN ULTRA-80 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had a few minutes yesterday and looked under the left cover at the 2 wire connector. Opened it up and it looks good as new, no sign of corrosion or excess heat. I also saw another set of 3 fuses I didn't know was there. It started snowing so I wasn't able to get any of them open but Ill have some time before Thanksgiving to look at it.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Those 3 - 30amp fuses are the Main and FI, and Spare fuses.

Start at fuses and check power to Engine Stop relay or to Ign switch.

Reactions: pushrod

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I agree with Hans, time to break out the test light and start tracing wires and power.
The D fuse powers the starter switch and fuel injection. Plus the relays. I would start probing right at the fuse holder. Sometimes the blades are bad or a wire comes off. Keep tracing power until you find it missing. I think the relays are easy to get to. Or you can disassemble the start/stop switch, not too bad.
Let us know what you find, I am intrigued now.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Does engine stop also prevent fi prime ? Reason I ask, I remember one time pressing starter button wouldn't engage starter. I flipped the engine stop button on and off several times and it started and never happened again. I just assumed I didn't have the switch fully off and never thought about it again until now.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Does engine stop also prevent fi prime ? Reason I ask, I remember one time pressing starter button wouldn't engage starter. I flipped the engine stop button on and off several times and it started and never happened again. I just assumed I didn't have the switch fully off and never thought about it again until now.
Engine stop relay is positive triggered from Engine Kill Switch. The first step in getting +12v to ESR. Second part of FI power up is the Bank Angle Sensor. If that is good ECM and FI system has +12volts and prime takes place.

Reactions: pushrod

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
9 pin Red connector block for the Right side HB switches is in the HL bucket..

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
Do you shut your bike down using the Kill switch? If yes, you should clean that switch up and may even have to replace it if it's that bad. Honda wants you to shut their bikes off using the key. It says as much in the users manual, you wouldn't be the first one to have this problem

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have only used the kill switch maybe a dozen times since owning the bike, I only use it if I am parked on an incline or something like that where I need to kill the engine before searching for neutral, but it does look like the kill switch is the problem. I went out this morning and with the key in and turned on, I held the start button in while rocking the kill switch back and forth. After doing that for several seconds the bike cranked up and ran. Turned it off with the key, then restarted and turned back off a few more times and it worked fine every time. It looks like I need a new kill switch. (y)

·
Registered
11,018 Posts
Wow. More than I would have guessed, but certainly could have been worse. And at least you will have a healthy ride again.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Partzilla was $86 plus tax and $9 shipping where I got it. Bike Bandit had it for $69 but shipping was gonna take 2 to 4 weeks where Partzilla shipping was 2 to 3 days. I ordered something for my sons KLR650 from Bike Bandit a while back and it took about 4 weeks to get it because of the covid crap so I didn't mind paying a little more to get it quicker.(y)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts