Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 2003 VTX 1800R THAT IS COMPLETELY STOCK. I BOUGHT IT USED ABOUT A MONTH AGO. IT HAS A LITTLE OVER 50000 MILES ON IT. IT RUNS AND IDLES PERFECT. MY PROBLEM IS I'M GETTING LESS THAN A HUNDRED MILES TO A TANK OF GAS. I'VE REPLACED THE PLUGS, AIR FILTER, ALL FLUIDS EXCEPT THE ANTI-FREEZE. I'VE CHECKED THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR A FEW TIMES AND NO GAS IS IN THE VAC LINE OR LEAKING OUT OF THE PRESSURE REGULATOR. IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO CHECK NEXT. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO GO TO THE DEALERSHIP. THE CLOSEST ONE IS 60 MILES AWAY. I'M TECH SAVY AND NOT AFRAID TO TEAR INTO SOMETHING.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My first question is. How do you ride it? Smooth and Steady or Heavy Handed? Are you sure it is bone stock? There isn't a fuel manger hidden somewhere? I had mone in the toolbox till it went wonky.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ride smooth and steady. Yeah I'm sure it's still stock. I've been all over this bike checking it out. I got it from the original owner. He was up in age and just couldn't ride anymore.

·
Registered
677 Posts
And you live in the state they were produced. Nice, most I ever got on a tank was 160 miles. Interstate 80 Nebraska. typically Fuel light comes on at about 100 or so, right at 4 gallons. Also depend on city back roads, 1 or 2 up. Very Clean Machine. Others will chime in later, Have a safe and fun summer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I live in South Carolina. The guy I bought it from was from Ohio and moved down here. You stay safe too. Thank you.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wow, and that is when fuel light comes on? and only 100 miles... i would have to say that is crappy indeed. And that is pushing the envelope to running out.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Pushing the envelope. Yeah I was wanting to see how many miles I was getting to a tank.
Check your dipstick. Does it have a strong smell of fuel? Thats a sign the FPR is going bad. They go bad from age, not from high miles or abuse. It's a $40 insurance policy, relatively easy to change. Eliminate that and look for other issues like a "ground fix'. Are you running under-inflated tires? Start @ 40 psi and adjust from there. Is the fork alignment/ wheel balance true? Is there a chance the pads on the discs are dragging? Are the wheel bearings and final drive flange bearing in good shape? With 50K on her, some stuff could be wearing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check your dipstick. Does it have a strong smell of fuel? Thats a sign the FPR is going bad. They go bad from age, not from high miles or abuse. It's a $40 insurance policy, relatively easy to change. Eliminate that and look for other issues like a "ground fix'. Are you running under-inflated tires? Start @ 40 psi and adjust from there. Is the fork alignment/ wheel balance true? Is there a chance the pads on the discs are dragging? Are the wheel bearings and final drive flange bearing in good shape? With 50K on her, some stuff could be wearing.
I checked the dipstick and no gas smell.. There's no play in the bearings and I checked the brakes and they're not dragging but I went ahead and ordered some new pads.. I just haven't received them yet. I'm going to go ahead and order the fuel pressure regulator just incase. I've been running the tire pressure at what's recommended on the tires. I'm going to pull the injectors and run some cleaner through them to make sure they're spraying correctly.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts