Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Other than the low fuel mileage. How do you enjoy "The Beast"? And what significance is the paw print on your truck plate?

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I checked the dipstick and no gas smell.. There's no play in the bearings and I checked the brakes and they're not dragging but I went ahead and ordered some new pads.. I just haven't received them yet. I'm going to go ahead and order the fuel pressure regulator just incase. I've been running the tire pressure at what's recommended on the tires. I'm going to pull the injectors and run some cleaner through them to make sure they're spraying correctly.
Don't pull the injectors UNTIL you've run a tank or 2 with FI cleaner through it. That may be all it needs, IDK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Don't pull the injectors UNTIL you've run a tank or 2 with FI cleaner through it. That may be all it needs, IDK.
What brand would you recommend ? There's so many to choose from. I've been reading reviews on a bunch of them but still don't know which would be the best.

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
What brand would you recommend ? There's so many to choose from. I've been reading reviews on a bunch of them but still don't know which would be the best.
At the local bike shops, auto stores, Walmart, is a product called STARTRON. It's a blue liquid in a blue bottle. It is an enzyme-based cleaner, unlike most hydrocarbon based cleaners, and dissolves buildups. A word of warning, it is like a laxative, and it DOES work in cleaning out a rough system, but it may actually make it worse as it gets all the crud out of a system! Some others have had great success with TECHron. I use a bit of the Startron in all my small engine implements that have to sit over winter. Once you are satisfied the system is 'cleaned out', I recommend Seafoam as more of a preventive every few tankfuls. A half can per tank is sufficient. MY $ .02.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
At the local bike shops, auto stores, Walmart, is a product called STARTRON. It's a blue liquid in a blue bottle. It is an enzyme-based cleaner, unlike most hydrocarbon based cleaners, and dissolves buildups. A word of warning, it is like a laxative, and it DOES work in cleaning out a rough system, but it may actually make it worse as it gets all the crud out of a system! Some others have had great success with TECHron. I use a bit of the Startron in all my small engine implements that have to sit over winter. Once you are satisfied the system is 'cleaned out', I recommend Seafoam as more of a preventive every few tankfuls. A half can per tank is sufficient. MY $ .02.
I'll look into it. I appreciate all advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great looking bike, I own a 2002 VTX 1800 R that is pretty much stock. Hondaline windscreen and saddle bags on the bike.
I have done Pair Valve/Dsmog, VTX Exhaust redid the insides of the two pipes, no ECU work, K&N air filter and 90,000 miles plus.
Same clutch, same fuel pump.

- 127 to 149 miles to reserve lite coming on
depending on speed.
- 186 to 200 miles on a tank of regular gas.

Color of pipe tips see below: seems to be fuelling just fine. I run SEAFOAM injector cleaner through the fuel system a couple times per year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Great looking bike, I own a 2002 VTX 1800 R that is pretty much stock. Hondaline windscreen and saddle bags on the bike.
I have done Pair Valve/Dsmog, VTX Exhaust redid the insides of the two pipes, no ECU work, K&N air filter and 90,000 miles plus.
Same clutch, same fuel pump.

- 127 to 149 miles to reserve lite coming on
depending on speed.
- 186 to 200 miles on a tank of regular gas.

Color of pipe tips see below: seems to be fuelling just fine. I run SEAFOAM injector cleaner through the fuel system a couple times per year.

That's a great looking bike. I'm just curious if you have to take your fuel tank off to add to the antifreeze. I'm going to change my coolant since I don't know when or if it's been changed. I'm hoping there's a was without having to take those banjo bolts loose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's a great looking bike. I'm just curious if you have to take your fuel tank off to add to the antifreeze. I'm going to change my coolant since I don't know when or if it's been changed. I'm hoping there's a was without having to take those banjo bolts loose.
Tank comes off fairly easily just have it almost empty and be careful not to bump it into anything.
I live way up north so change antifreeze ever 4 to 5 years and change the brake and clutch fluids every two year to keep the moisture out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Tank comes off fairly easily just have it almost empty and be careful not to bump it into anything.
I live way up north so change antifreeze ever 4 to 5 years and change the brake and clutch fluids every two year to keep the moisture out.

How do you start the bike to open the thermostat with the tank off ?

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
21 - 40 of 65 Posts