Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I've looked at the de-smogging videos but most of them say all it does is stop the popping sound. Mine doesn't do that. Yeah I've checked and cleaned the throttle body and I use the factory honda air filter.
Mine, it did little to nothing about the de-cel popping. But changing the exhaust gaskets and a proper re-seal of the pipes & flanges did. Removing all that smog crap reduces a few lbs. wt., cleans up the top of the engine as far as looks and running dressy LED lights to highlight the top of the engine, and it has to be removed anyway when doing a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX1800C, 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
8 Posts
I've looked at the de-smogging videos but most of them say all it does is stop the popping sound. Mine doesn't do that. Yeah I've checked and cleaned the throttle body and I use the factory honda air filter.

The popping sound is like a chattering sound when its cold outside or if you give it gas and release its. I literally just did mine and just got my 02 VTX1800C running today..... how are the cables for the throttle?? Is there alot of slopp and play? Or is it tight?? Do they look like rust in the lines?? I'm asking because if they are factory orginal maybe an ideal to replace them at the same time.... roughly 50-60 bucks... because the cables could just be worn... or overly tight so your just always open even at low speeds.... look at getting rid of the factory air filter.... overly priced and garbage..... just my opinion

·
Registered
27 Posts
I HAVE A 2003 VTX 1800R THAT IS COMPLETELY STOCK. I BOUGHT IT USED ABOUT A MONTH AGO. IT HAS A LITTLE OVER 50000 MILES ON IT. IT RUNS AND IDLES PERFECT. MY PROBLEM IS I'M GETTING LESS THAN A HUNDRED MILES TO A TANK OF GAS. I'VE REPLACED THE PLUGS, AIR FILTER, ALL FLUIDS EXCEPT THE ANTI-FREEZE. I'VE CHECKED THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR A FEW TIMES AND NO GAS IS IN THE VAC LINE OR LEAKING OUT OF THE PRESSURE REGULATOR. IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO CHECK NEXT. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO GO TO THE DEALERSHIP. THE CLOSEST ONE IS 60 MILES AWAY. I'M TECH SAVY AND NOT AFRAID TO TEAR INTO SOMETHING.
The thermostat has a lot to do with fuel and the fuel psi regulator

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE A 2003 VTX 1800R THAT IS COMPLETELY STOCK. I BOUGHT IT USED ABOUT A MONTH AGO. IT HAS A LITTLE OVER 50000 MILES ON IT. IT RUNS AND IDLES PERFECT. MY PROBLEM IS I'M GETTING LESS THAN A HUNDRED MILES TO A TANK OF GAS. I'VE REPLACED THE PLUGS, AIR FILTER, ALL FLUIDS EXCEPT THE ANTI-FREEZE. I'VE CHECKED THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR A FEW TIMES AND NO GAS IS IN THE VAC LINE OR LEAKING OUT OF THE PRESSURE REGULATOR. IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO CHECK NEXT. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO GO TO THE DEALERSHIP. THE CLOSEST ONE IS 60 MILES AWAY. I'M TECH SAVY AND NOT AFRAID TO TEAR INTO SOMETHING.
Fill it up ride at least sixty miles. Check you MPG if you are getting 35 to 40 MPG you are doing OK the VTX is a gas hog. ride the bike and see if your MPG get better.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Gas Hog which is a joy to ride. Power on Demand one or two up. I know I get his mileage riding two up with a moderate hand.

Link from site.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts