Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Don’t know.
But I DO know the vacuum petcock doesn’t help “suck” fuel. The vac just opens a plug. It’s a safety thing. That's it.

I have been running a vacuum-less petcock on mine for 10 yrs. no issue.

Have you pulled the petcock to check the screen, checked the diaphragm with a bright light behind it?

Could also be non fuel related, corroded common electrical ground at front coil can cause the bike to cut out.
What year is your bike? Is it a 2003? Did you remove the fuel pump? I have checked the screen in the petcock, I even replaced it (I crushed the one that was there getting it out).

The diaphragm on the carb top? YUP! I've taken it out 2X and check it. Once in the pure darkness with a flashlight. No cracks or splits. It's still soft and pliable.

I'll check the electrical connector on the front coil, thanks! I would think If that was the problem, it would cut out in other gears too, but I'm happy to check. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wanted to bump this old thread.

I don't see anything wrong with the coil or the connections. I started the bike up and ran it, and it runs fine around town.

With the current state of the world, there isn't much traffic on the road, I got into on the highway, and pretty consistently at 100/105mph the bike cuts out. If I let off, it "catches" up pretty quick. And then runs okay.

It initially happened in 5th. A few seconds later, I kicked it down into 4th, and at 105 it did it again. So whatever it is, it's not RPM related.

It seems like it's gas related. I hate to do it, but I'm tempted to re-connect the fuel pump and leave the bike the way it was.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Gravity works for every single other VTX, there is no reason it wouldn’t work for yours. Same tank, same carb. Try it if you like (the pump) but I doubt it’s the issue.
You had stated you couldn’t be certain it wasn’t doing it before.
Couple of things, sorry if I missed it:
Is the bike stock? Running out of fuel at WOT could be a jetting /float issue.
I saw something about a factory pro needle, seat at first when it was flooding.

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Remove carb bowl, check fuel flow...

Do you have an aftermarket air filter?

·
Old Goat
24,815 Posts
Sounds like a fuel flow problem...I had a boat that acted similar ..dirt in the carb....good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Gravity works for every single other VTX, there is no reason it wouldn’t work for yours. Same tank, same carb. Try it if you like (the pump) but I doubt it’s the issue.
You had stated you couldn’t be certain it wasn’t doing it before.
Couple of things, sorry if I missed it:
Is the bike stock? Running out of fuel at WOT could be a jetting /float issue.
I saw something about a factory pro needle, seat at first when it was flooding.
When the carb was flooding, I did repalce the needle/seat with that out of I think an All-Balls Racing kit. The bike has a set of Hard Krome pipes, but is otherwise stock. I'm thinking, maybe I need to buy a factory fuel line from a 2004+, because it's a hard rubber line, and it would come "pre-molded" to fit. I used the hard rubber line off my 2003, and worked it into place. The tank was off the bike 3 ish years ago and the tank was replaced.

Does anyone have a part number for this hose? The one on the parts fische is standard "bulk hose" 95001-35003-60M.

Sounds like a fuel flow problem...I had a boat that acted similar ..dirt in the carb....good luck
I've taken the carb apart 3 times, the last time is was soaked in Berrymans for 24 hours. The carb came out clean, very clean.

Remove carb bowl, check fuel flow...

Do you have an aftermarket air filter?
There is a steady stream of fuel. At 1.5 gallons and below, or so, the stream gets a litttle weaker, but I think that is to be expected.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
2004+ fuel line will have a hard 90 right out of the petcock. I dont think it would work.

As for fuel flow, think of ot this way. If you turn on the petcock and let it flow into a container for 3 minutes, how much fuel do you get. Do you feel as though the bike could possibly burn through that much fuel in 3 mins?

You could try hooking up a tube to the bottom of the carb bowl (drain nipple) and opening up the drain into a container. See how much you get then. I honestly can imagine the fuel line getting sucked close.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts