Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting to lean the bike in a curve I feel what seems to be a grinding or a vibration . Is this normal if the tires need to be replaced or is it possibly bad bearings ? If its the bearing what is the easiest way to check them ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the same thing with only 1000 miles on a 2003.
It seems the worst within the first block or two. Flange bearings???

StockStinks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I feel the same and have on all of my X's.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
T-manVTX said:
When starting to lean the bike in a curve I feel what seems to be a grinding or a vibration . Is this normal if the tires need to be replaced or is it possibly bad bearings ? If its the bearing what is the easiest way to check them ?
I've never felt a vibration or a grinding noise on mine.. :pepper1: :beer3:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was told it was my tires were making this noise and vibration.My tires are worn out now and I have a set of Bridgestones coming so I'll find out if that was it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've noticed this on mine during the last 1000 miles or so. Even happens if you just lean the bike to one side or the other slightly (doesn't have to be a 'curve'). I've been trying to figure out whether it is a problem with some type of bearing that is wearing out or if it is a tire issue. If anyone has solid info on what it is or what types of things to examine I'd appreciate it!

Rob

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had it happen twice. Both times were the tires. Mine are bad enough now that they squeel in a tight corner. Just waiting for another set a Bridges to get here
Les

·
Registered
31 Posts
it sounds like tires,get the feel of the road,with no vib,just lean the bike over a litte bit,if you get your vib.its tires,
ride safe

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
john-c said:
it sounds like tires,get the feel of the road,with no vib,just lean the bike over a litte bit,if you get your vib.its tires,
ride safe

I'd put my money with john especially if you are running the stockers or avons or Bridgestones and the like on the front, which have a center tread groove and more agressive tread on the outer edges of the tire. As you lean, you roll onto that agressive tread section and get a buzz, vib, grinding sort of feel. I've had this with all the tires mentioned above on my scoot.
Mike

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I am on my second set of tires (Metezler) and mine did it with the dunlops also just worse. Checked the bearings and drive train and all is good. Sooooo it must be a normal condition with the X. :?

·
Super Moderator
63,772 Posts
It's the tires, a flange bearing will not cause a vibration as there is little to no weight on that bearing. They are pilot bearings only, the bikes weight is on the wheel bearings.
The tire wear that causes the vibration and sometimes noise is called tire cupping, read this;
http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
john-c said:
ride safe
This matches my observations exactly. That makes me a bit 'happier' that it is probably my tires and not a mechanical problem. I have almost 6,000 on the stock tires so this probably makes sense that it's my time.

Thanks!
Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts