Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
God give me strength

I can't believe it.

Young bikers are dying because of their immaturity.
Old bikers are dying because of their excessive maturity.
In between bikers are dying because JOAN CLAYBROOK says they are.

For those snot-nosed kids among you, she was head of NHTSA under Jimmuh Cahtah. She tried to re-engineer motorcycles so that they steered with the rear wheel, had seat belts, and airbags. As I recall, all they proved was that they could kill a test rider or two. She said that it was worth the millions of $ and the lives because they proved it didn't work.

Understand, try backing your car down the road at 70. Then try it on 2 wheels. But a Gov't hack doesn't think that deeply.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
What this author says doesn't hold all the water in the bucket. He forgets to mention that back when the studies were done there was no such thing as SUV's and just about everyone having them. He doesn't mention that being hit by a car is alot different than being hit by an SUV.

Things don't align up like they did back when the studies were done. You got people doing everything but paying attention to what they should be behind the wheel.

Just this past weekend the wife and watch a movie. In that movie they show the main character traveling a California hiway and doing a crossword puzzle while driving. I know it's just a movie, but the movie people got the idea somewhere for that and then put it in the movie. I've passed people reading books. How alert can they truly be?

Our whole drivers education system needs to be updated for both us and auto drivers and future drivers so they are more aware of us. Just as we are made more aware of what can and might happen if you don't do all you can to ride safe.

As to the right to choose to go lidless or not. I feel adults should have that choice. If you want to wear a lid, please do. If you want to go lidless and you have that legal right where you live, then have fun.

Tejas

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have often hypothesized that maybe at least some of the fatalities are as a result of people at an advanced age who may want to recapture their youth by buying their first motorcycle and just does not have the experience.
It takes alot of time in the saddle to instinctively know what to do in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i read some of the article, and at first glance it appeareed they were talking about joe schmo middle age guy who had money and went out and bought that moptercycle he always wanted but never got. he had no experience, but the dealer went ahead and sold him the biggest baddest thing that caught his eye. maybe it was a vtx or harley, it doesn't matter. then he went faster than he could handle and/or got into a situation he couldn't handle with his limited experience.

maybe i didn't read all the article tejas, but you are right about drivers being idiots nowadays. i'm scared to drive in any kind of snow out here due to the hordes of rich idiots in SUV's that think their 4wd makes them immune to snow and go speeding around and wrecking. they literally litter the roads in every snow out here.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Its cell phones

Somebody here I think hit the nail...theres to much going on in cages today, cell phones, dvd players, satelite radio, and now satelite computor uplinks. In the '80's all we had was fm and the most dangerous thing you did in your car was change a cassette, or try to cop a feel of your girls breast. But none of this is figured in to these study's jmho
Bryan

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
On that study, they are talking about the average age of the riders in 2003 was up compared to the ones in 1985........Maybe the ones riding in 1985 got older in 2003 :roll:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nick nailed it! In 1985 the ave age was 27, now 20 years later, the ave age is 41. Hmmmm seems like there is just a big batch of riders getting older :roll:

·
Registered
313 Posts
BS is BS, even if you call it Bovine Excretion

More older riders=more deaths of older riders. Whoopee.

The study is statistically flawed and skewed. It just proves if you have more left-handed riders, you will have more left-handers die. If you have more women riders, the number of fatalities for women will go up.

The more lead you have, the heavier it will be. So?

G

·
Bouxdaddy:

I remember Ms. Claybrook as the idiot who implemented 121 (anti-lock) brakes on Class 8 trucks before they were proven ready. What a nightmare. She hated trucks and hated truckers and when Jimmy got the boot she went to work for the railroads-big suprise.
Phil

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with weapon x. There are a lot of 40 plus guys who have never owned a motorcycle but have always wanted one. So they go to the dealer get a big bike big cc and really dont have any experience with handeling a bike that big. Hopefully they will learn quickly before becoming a statistic.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Re: Its cell phones

bgreer said:
.... or try to cop a feel of your girls breast....
Did that in the '60's and '70s, too. :lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
wheels said:
I agree with weapon x. There are a lot of 40 plus guys who have never owned a motorcycle but have always wanted one. So they go to the dealer get a big bike big cc and really dont have any experience with handeling a bike that big. Hopefully they will learn quickly before becoming a statistic.
Yep, that's me.... 46 years old and riding around just waiting to get maself kilt on that there big ole bike. Come on, that statement you made is accurate, as far as it goes.
As we get older, most of us Geriatic cases are also just a leeeetle bit more careful than when we were 19. As such, most of us are more willing to read, study, practice, and take courses than the younger set. Sure, there are some, a minority, mind you, that are fully set on riding straight to hell in a handbasket. But most of us at this age realize that we are not invulnerable, will not live forever, and are unwilling to take chances that some would take.
Does engine size matter? I don't think so. What matters is the matter in between the ears. If you want to do something stupid or disasterous, it is not the size of the bike that will make it happen. You can do any crazy stunt or speeds to 100 on almost any bike that has more than 500 cc's. You can train to be able to handle ANY size bike there is, whether it is your first bike or your 20th, you just have to want to do the training. It is ther riders attitude more than anything else that makes the difference.

As far as I have seen, the ones that have not ever ridden and then take it up later in life (like me) are far better and more conservative riders than the ones that rode when they were younger, and then take it up again at a later stage. I have observed that a much larger minority of them are willing to tear up the roads and to have a arrogance about learning new riding skills. So much so that I am unwilling to ride with some of them.

When they were younger, and rode a bike, the common bike that they could afford was 750cc and less. Now, they can buy the bigger bikes, and try to ride as if they were still young and on the same old bike without any further training whatever. The 'I learned all I need to know about riding bikes when I was a kid' attitude prevails.

A recipe for disaster.

G

·
Seems to me that I just read an article in which the government admitted that they screwed up their statistical analysis that was the basis for the conclusion that obesity was a prime health related killer...turned out that when someone else checked their numbers, they were flat wrong. I've never been one to believe in conspiracy theories but with all the dire warnings the government issues regarding SUVs, second hand smoke, helmetless motorcycle fatalities, obesity, it sure is starting to smell like social engineering through half truths and whole lies...Frankp :?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think there may be just a few more cages on the road nowadays.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Another thing to think about.

I have personally seen many older riders go down around here. There seems to be something that most people dont think about, one is with older riders, is health conditions causing the wreck. I have personally worked 2 accidents where an older rider went down because there blood sugar bottomed out(hypoglycemia). These older riders were both riding in large groups where they didnt have time to eat properly during the ride and had too much pride to make the group wait while they made sure there sugar was ok. I have also worked a wreck where the older rider started having chest pain and ran off the road..... And the whole older riders starting out without any experience is also something to think about. Last fall worked a single vehicle MVC where the rider of a brand new HD just didnt make a curve. Speed wasnt a factor he just had little riding experience and panicked. Luckily he landed in soft mud and only suffered a broken clavicle and 1 very bruised ego. He had just paid $25000 cash for his big new HD. Totalled with 22 miles on it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Re: Another thing to think about.

kymedic said:
And the whole older riders starting out without any experience is also something to think about. Last fall worked a single vehicle MVC where the rider of a brand new HD just didnt make a curve. Speed wasnt a factor he just had little riding experience and panicked. Luckily he landed in soft mud and only suffered a broken clavicle and 1 very bruised ego. He had just paid $25000 cash for his big new HD. Totalled with 22 miles on it.
Now, THAT does sound like a older idiot playing the fool!!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts