Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time for a new set of threads. I've been using metzler marathons 880, 140 80 17 and 170 80 15.but have been thinking of something different . any recommendations? thanks for looking.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Brigestone Exedra tube-type on the front (exact fit). I think the sub-model Exedra reference is L309. Has been a great tire so far with 6,000 miles on it and shows no sign of wear. Bridgestone has no tube-type for the rear, only tubeless. But I'm sure the Bridg. Exedra tubeless can be fitted with the tube you had in the rear wheel.

Aside from that. Michelin Commander II. Tubeless but can be fitted with tubes. Just make sure it has the TL/TT designation.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Jake Wilson has a few manufacturers sales on right now. Metzlers 88 bucks off a set, 40 for Michelin, dunlop. I HAD to get a set of Metz since they where only net 187.00. 150-80-17 and a 170-80-15

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have had metlers,dumlop,bridgestone,avon and shinkos
shinkos are my favorite for the price,they wear well and are priced right.
avon tires are good too but cost more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This may sound very stupid but should I replace the tubes along with the tires? I know my rear tube is about 2 years old and my front about 3 or 4

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a metzler 880 front tire, and Its like riding a whole new bike. Theyre great in the rain, cold, and any other condition mother nature could throw at you.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have had both Metzlers and Dunlops on my 1300. I liked the ride and handling out of the Metzlers better, but I think the Dunlops lasted longer. +1 on new tubes. Why not?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a set of Metz 880's on my 04 1300S right now, but these are getting rather "long in the tooth". I would love to replace them with a new set 880's but can't seem to find the Rear tire that someone actually has in stock - because of being discontinued they are getting hard to find.
Thinking of going back to a Dunlop K555J front & rear, had a couple of sets to these, great stablity, wear and I can find them everywhere.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here in spain just the PIRELLI NIGHT DRAGON, special for motorcycles like ours, have good feeling. Has anyone tried them?

https://www.revzilla.com/product/pirelli-night-dragon-rear-tires
They are very sticky tires, the stickiest of all bias-ply tires for the VTX. The problem with these Pirelli's is that they don't last too long. People are reporting of putting on them just 7,000 miles. It's a trade-off: the stickier the tires, the least they last.

I'm considering going with Michelin Commander IIs as my next tires, but some people are reporting of them being dangerous in wet scenarios. I've got a lot of tread left on my tires, so I'm just going to go ahead and keep reading reviews as time passes since the Commander II's are still relatively new.

The stock Dunlops are OK tires for all scenarios. They sure don't skid on wet pavement, unlike what some people are reporting regarding the Michelins. I'm liking my Bridgie on the front.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had an Metzler 888 on the rear and clock 18,000 miles. Could have gone a little longer (1000mi) but was planning a long ride so changed it out. Metzler 888 on the front went longer.

·
Registered
497 Posts
time for a new set of threads. I've been using metzler marathons 880, 140 80 17 and 170 80 15.but have been thinking of something different . any recommendations? thanks for looking.
I would try the Shinko whitewalls if i had spoked wheels. Really wanted whitewall tires on my last bike but they didnt make them in the size it needed. IMO wouldnt look right with the 1300R cast wheels, but awesome with spokes. I have heard positive reviews on them although hear tell they are not the longest lasting tires, but not bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shinko-140-80-17-170-80-15-777-White-Wall-Tires-Honda-VTX1300R-S-T-VT1300CR-CT/201466694401?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
You might find them for even less $$.

I currently have Michelin Commander II's, which are long lasting tires. Put 10K of them and they still have lots of tread left, like 75%. The Bridgestones that came on my last bike wore out in 10K.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said you got the Shinko Whitwalls, good for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
got the shinko 777 whiteys on my girl. took my first ride yesterday with them they handled well but think the shop i went to didnt balance them right have another post going about it and thats what the peeps there think.
but they make my girl look dead sexy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes they do look nice, got a chance yesterday to take them for a long ride on both highway and country road. I like them. spent a lot of time swerving around potholes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the shinko 777's on my S, and have been very pleased with them. If you have spokes, you have to have whitewalls!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts