Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so.. the right turn signal light on my dash has become intermittent.

sometimes it works, other times nothing, sometimes its bright, other times it is very dull.

I suspect there is something loose or maybe some detached solder on the board. by chance does anyone have the wiring schematic for the F cluster?

or even a few pictures of what it looks like, I would like to know what I am dealing with before tearing it apart, seeing as a replacement cluster is $900 from Honda.

• Wow
Reactions: Hardin 08 VTX1800F

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
check for moisture in the dash wiring.... under the left front of the gas tank
there is a rubber cover on the 2 connectors

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check for moisture in the dash wiring.... under the left front of the gas tank
there is a rubber cover on the 2 connectors

maybe, but it's been like this for 12 years.

I suspect a connection or wire is loose or broken, the cluster was off the bike many times during the build in 2006-2007 and I recall it doing this back then. When I got it back and running this past Feb it seemed to be fine. then about 3 days ago it started again

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Clean and lube the TS switch.
Old grease and dirt, create a poor connection.
The first ones with TS problems began in cold weather.
Now it can happen anytime.
Similar to the 1300 and 1st Gen 1800 except DLR switch not used any longer.
A TS electronic controller for 2nd gen 1800.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Once you rule out external wiring, you can pull off the connectors, supply power only to the suspect circuits and if they still give you trouble, the problem is in the cluster.
Do you have the means to repair it or are you looking for a volunteer?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you rule out external wiring, you can pull off the connectors, supply power only to the suspect circuits and if they still give you trouble, the problem is in the cluster.
Do you have the means to repair it or are you looking for a volunteer?
I can repair it, just don’t want to dig into it without some type of schematic.

years ago TerryB (i think that was his username) replaced all the lights in his F cluster with LEDs and changed the backlight from yellow to blue. I can’t find his how-to thread, I know he made one Not sure if it was here or on the CA VTX forums, but I can’t find it in either place.
Though likely all the photobucket pictures are probably gone as well.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clean and lube the TS switch.
Old grease and dirt, create a poor connection.
The first ones with TS problems began in cold weather.
Now it can happen anytime.
Similar to the 1300 and 1st Gen 1800 except DLR switch not used any longer.
A TS electronic controller for 2nd gen 1800.

nope the TS switch is brand new, just put it on in FEB with my new handlebars. this is definitely something loose and inside the cluster or on the circuit board. if I blip the throttle it goes on and off from the vibration.

something is loose within the cluster. I will be taking it apart this weekend.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so.. the right turn signal light on my dash has become intermittent.

sometimes it works, other times nothing, sometimes its bright, other times it is very dull.

I suspect there is something loose or maybe some detached solder on the board. by chance does anyone have the wiring schematic for the F cluster?

or even a few pictures of what it looks like, I would like to know what I am dealing with before tearing it apart, seeing as a replacement cluster is $900 from Honda.
let me clarify:

the only issue is the right turn signal indicator on the dash cluster (the F has right and left indicators),

all the turn signals work fine, front and rear, it is only the right dash indicator that is an issue, since I have LED turns and use a Kisan Signal minder that lights up the turns as DRL/Tail, the dash indicators are always lit, so I know when the right goes out, the signal lights are fine, it is just the indicator light that either goes dim or doesn't work.

interestingly it came back on yesterday and was fine all day. today it isn't working again.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figured it out, and I am mad as hell.

It was the connector under the tank that runs up to the dash/gauges.

At some point someone that was working on the bike apparently damaged or cut the wires on one of the two connectors and they twisted the wires together then wrapped them in electrical tape. In addition they apparently broke the digital display control button mounts (for resetting the trip oodometer) and glued them together, while they work I am pissed as hell about this.

I am going to hope I can order the buttons separate from the dash cluster. As for the wiring I soldered it back together and heat shrieked it, but I a angry as hell about the damage. I’m going to look and see if I can find a used harness for the F on ebay, I had having cut and spliced wiring..

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Glad you found the root cause and sorry it turned out to be messy wiring. But it seems like you're on top of it and can fit it right.
Rats nests always amaze me. I've seen my share in all the cars and bikes I've bought used over the years.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you found the root cause and sorry it turned out to be messy wiring. But it seems like you're on top of it and can fit it right.
Rats nests always amaze me. I've seen my share in all the cars and bikes I've bought used over the years.
yeah I have too, annoying to say the least.

I have reached out to revzilla and a couple others to see if the wire harness and some of the related parts are available, The OEM harness has been sliced and diced in several places and while I have repaired it I am annoyed at it and my OCD has me wanting to correct all of this.

the only place that even needed to be cut was the connection to the rear tail light as I removed it and put in a custom LED, but even at that, there is a quick connector there and I used the OEM connector and spliced it to my light, so everything should have been plug and play.

however there were a couple of different guys working on the bike back in 2006/2007 and apparently they damaged several sections of the harness either by accident or in the process of doing other work, and it looks like they had 3rd level skills at fixing it.

The bike runs, and everything works, but damn if it doesn't just irk the hell out of me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts