Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the new flangeless type. Anyone have any idea if it can be installed without too much trouble on an 04 C model? The dummy lights in the bib look identical. I'm hoping that it would just plug in and bolt up. Anyone know? Tank trim is out of the question.... :wink:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
where is your 04 fuel pump? I think the 05 are on the side of the engine and yours is in the tank, :lol:

Be Safe

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bareass172 said:
Fuel pump is different, it's not a direct bolt on if that's what you're asking.
What about picking up an 05 tank and fuel pump?

·
Registered
255 Posts
UMM... I have done it. I used the NEO tank on my 03 Retro. Flangless tank have the fuel pump mounted in the frame forward of the rear tire. The frame is also different to house the fuel pump instead of the coolant bottle.
Will the tank bolt on...yes by all means.
Must you find a way to get fuel out it... yes
Must you relocate the coolant bottle and spend $1000's on a new frame and fuel pump... NO
Can I take credit for being the first to do this... I can almost guarantee it. Well me and Ted at T Rey Customs in Louisville.

I will not take responsibilty for any damage that this may do to your bike or yourself. I can tell you that in the last 2500 miles I have no issues and I do reccomend this mod for the most simple, least time consuming and cheapest way to add a new style tank to an older machine. And as soon as I get the right part # I will provide with details. I will also have pictures this weekend as I will be taking my bike apart. Be prepared to make a trip to NAPA and spend less than $100.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You could take the existing tank off and send it to Colorado , have the seam worked over then filled in and the tank repainted all probably a lot cheaper than the cost of the modifications for fitting a new tank and fuel pump.

StreetMuscle is the VTX rider/professional body/painter that does it.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
BuffaloBill said:
You could take the existing tank off and send it to Colorado , have the seam worked over then filled in and the tank repainted all probably a lot cheaper than the cost of the modifications for fitting a new tank and fuel pump.

That's usually what I think too, i'm interested to see what Sailor proposes for making this swap with $100.

I know that in the past Joe had told me he could mod the entire tank for a REALLY good price. I won't name the price because I don't know if Joe's prices have changed, but it was a great deal. :wink:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fuel Pump Relocate

Sailor77 said:
UMM... I have done it. I used the NEO tank on my 03 Retro. Flangless and also the fuel pump (NEO) is mounted in the frame forward of the rear tire. The frame is also different to house the fuel pump instead of the coolant bottle.
Must you find a way to get fuel to it... yes
Must you relocate the coolant bottle and spend $1000's on a new frame and fuel pump... NO
Can I take credit for being the first to do this... I can almost guarantee it. Well me and Ted at T Rey Customs in Louisville.

I will not take responsibilty for any damage that this may do to bike or yourself. I can tell you that in the last 2500 miles I have no issues and I do reccomend this mod for the most simple, least time consuming and cheapest way to add a new style tank to an older machine. And as soon as I get the right part # I will provide with details. I will also have pictures this weekend as I will be taking my bike apart. Be prepared to make a trip to NAPA and spend less than $100.
Very interested in this. I am planning on having my second set of skins set up as "quick change" but the second fuel pump/pickup and mounting assembly is quite expensive. My thoughts were to fabricate a new fuel pickup and plumb it to an external fuel pump so that I would not have to switch the entire assembly whenever I change the skins. Is this essentially what you did?

Thanks.

Ducky55

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BuffaloBill said:

I would like to get rid of the tank seam but, that's not the only consideration. I'd also like to get a bit more fuel capacity out of the deal if possible.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sailor77 said:
UMM... I have done it. I used the NEO tank on my 03 Retro. Flangless and also the fuel pump (NEO) is mounted in the frame forward of the rear tire. The frame is also different to house the fuel pump instead of the coolant bottle.
Must you find a way to get fuel to it... yes

I will not take responsibilty for any damage that this may do to bike or yourself. I can tell you that in the last 2500 miles I have no issues and I do reccomend this mod for the most simple, least time consuming and cheapest way to add a new style tank to an older machine. And as soon as I get the right part # I will provide with details. I will also have pictures this weekend as I will be taking my bike apart. Be prepared to make a trip to NAPA and spend less than $100.
Do tell and please show those pics. Very interesting.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am waiting to get my bike back from the dealer after I wrecked it 2 weeks ago. It has been there for 2 weeks waiting for them to get an estimate of damage. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will pick it up and snap those pics and do a general write up this weekend. Bare with me as I don't want to give any incorrect information or ideas. It is worth the few days wait... trust me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
BuffaloBill said:

I would like to get rid of the tank seam but, that's not the only consideration. I'd also like to get a bit more fuel capacity out of the deal if possible.

A while back, TRey posted that he could fill the seam, and increase tank capacity about a gallon, for around $450.00

The catch is that you have to run an aftermarket air intake, with all the smog crap removed (thats the area where he adds space to the tank.

If you search for posts by him, you could probably find it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fuel Pump

Sailor77 said:
I am waiting to get my bike back from the dealer after I wrecked it 2 weeks ago. It has been there for 2 weeks waiting for them to get an estimate of damage. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will pick it up and snap those pics and do a general write up this weekend. Bare with me as I don't want to give any incorrect information or ideas. It is worth the few days wait... trust me.
Did I miss the update to this somewhere?

·
Registered
255 Posts
no, you did not miss the update. I have been swamped and never put it up. Let me low ball it for you and post pics later.

It boils down to buying an automotive fuel pump and some fuel line. No big deal really. Did some research and found out that the VTX pumps @50 PSI fuel pressure. So I went looking for a fuel pump that pumps that much. Turns out that a 1989 Ford E350 VAN with a fuel injected 351 motor and frame mounted fuel pump fit the bill. Napa for $89. I'll get the part #.

I cut the stock air filter and mounted the fuel pump on the frame under the tank. I used the same wires that run the stock fuel pump to power it. Used the stock line to the throttle body from the pump and used a piece of standed high pressure fuel line to connect the tank and pump....

The pump is invisible under the tank, might make a little more noise then the stock, but I really can't tell. I have had no problems to date with this mod... So if you can find a cheap tank and/or want the extra fuel capicity I fully reccommend this route. Happy to answer questions....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fuel Pump Relocate

Sailor77,

Thanks for the info, looks like exactly what I need. I have 2 sets of skins and the task of swapping them out would be a lot easier without removing internal fuel pump every time I switch. Look forward to pics+part#s etc.

Thanks.

Ducky55

·
Registered
255 Posts
ok here are few shots and part numbers

NAPA part # is P74028 made by carter. There is a cheaper version. This is what you are looking for
1989 E-350 Ford Van
351 Fuel injected
Frame mounted fuel pump

The filter is just a cheap one. I am not using a very small chrome one made for and by Indian

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sailor77 said:
Would love to see you pic also

Miles

1 - 20 of 27 Posts