Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to this forum, but a owner of a 2006 honda vtx, just bought a year ago, with 10k on the engine. The bike had a light loose, and closer inspection, I found a lose wire, which shorted the lights out. I have now replaced the light, and when I start the bike, I got my high beam, low beam, put my foot ont he brake, it rear comes on, turn signals come on, but no led display, or lights on the dash, or when I'm not using the brake the read light goes off. I have checked and replaced all the fuses in the box, Next step to try to trouble shoot, is taking apart the dash, and checking the circuit board for any band caps, or resistors. (I do some electronic repair and soldering as a side job). Is there something I may be missing or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new dash/used dash? Also I live in canada, and notice the bike has MPH, on top and KM on the bottom, since I will ahve it open, is there a way to replace the face plate for the speed?

thank you in advance for any help that you can offer or suggestions.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
Check the green (?) connectors under the gas tank.
I can't remember if they're on the left or right side, up at the forward part of the tank.

My motto is "Always check the easiest, least expensive things first''.

·
Registered
11,699 Posts
Speedo, front run/position lights, tail light, license plate light are on the Speedo/tail light fuse.

No tail light along with the other things out is a good indication of a fuse issue.
Check again, it may have blown again..

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
Speedo, front run/position lights, tail light, license plate light are on the Speedo/tail light fuse.

No tail light along with the other things out is a good indication of a fuse issue.
Check again, it may have blown again..
The way I read it, all his lights work xcept the speedo.

·
Registered
11,699 Posts
The way I read it his tail light does not work. ####Read aka red light goes off when not using the brake ####

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
The way I read it his tail light does not work. ####Read aka red light goes off when not using the brake ####
You're right. I see it now.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hello, new to this forum, but a owner of a 2006 honda vtx, just bought a year ago, with 10k on the engine. The bike had a light loose, and closer inspection, I found a lose wire, which shorted the lights out. I have now replaced the light, and when I start the bike, I got my high beam, low beam, put my foot ont he brake, it rear comes on, turn signals come on, but no led display, or lights on the dash, or when I'm not using the brake the read light goes off. I have checked and replaced all the fuses in the box, Next step to try to trouble shoot, is taking apart the dash, and checking the circuit board for any band caps, or resistors. (I do some electronic repair and soldering as a side job). Is there something I may be missing or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new dash/used dash? Also I live in canada, and notice the bike has MPH, on top and KM on the bottom, since I will ahve it open, is there a way to replace the face plate for the speed?

thank you in advance for any help that you can offer or suggestions.
You never mentioned checking the battery terminal connections, make sure they are clean and good and tight.
Check:
battery connections
2. Rear Tailight bulb for burnt element (there are 2 elements)
3. Follow Speedometer Power input line procedure shown below which includes checking Black/brown wire for open circuit (damaged wiring). Same power circuit (wire) is solid brown further on down the bike.

From VTX Service manual: See Power Input Line

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Similar problem with speedo in this earlier thread. Turned out to be the brown wire at the tailight, it was damaged due to mods to the license plate holder i believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is correct, the tail light goes out, the dash has no lights, except for turn signals when I turn them on, or high beams, no neutral light, or there should be some illumination or a digitial display, which is none, all the fuses have been replaced, I have tested and reconnected the connectors under the thank. I am wondering when my one turn light stopped working or shorted out, it blue something on the pcb of the dash cluster. I was wondering if there may be something I'm missing or that would be it. and rather then mess around trying to find it, spend the $300 on a new cluster?

·
Registered
11,699 Posts
There is the possibility of bending a pin on the Green connectors or pushing a pin out
when closing the Green connectors. Black/Brown is the +12v power source.
Verify those pins. 1/8" is all it takes for an open circuit.

Calm down, you are jumping to conclusions.
Inspect and analyze. Voltage reading on the FUSE "B" "Tail, Meter" which is Tail Light and Speedometer.
Measure voltage, with IGN ON, both sides of fuse should have +12v... Measure.
I mentioned several other lights that are on the same circuit. POST #3
Are they ON????

Attachments

Reactions: RBS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is the possibility of bending a pin on the Green connectors or pushing a pin out
when closing the Green connectors. Black/Brown is the +12v power source.
Verify those pins. 1/8" is all it takes for an open circuit.

Calm down, you are jumping to conclusions.
Inspect and analyze. Voltage reading on the FUSE "B" "Tail, Meter" which is Tail Light and Speedometer.
Measure voltage, with IGN ON, both sides of fuse should have +12v... Measure.
I mentioned several other lights that are on the same circuit. POST #3
Are they ON????
so yes, I had time today to check the bike out closer, so need to check the wires coming from the connector, last I checked no bent pins but will check tomorrow when I get some more time, but there is 12v dc coming from the fuse, when switched on. the turn indicators left and right as well as highbeams come on, no oil, no digital display, no neutral lights come on. no tail light unless break is applied.
I will check the wires and the leads coming out tomorrow. just been nice weather for getting gardens and building green house boxes. Can't really ride as I have no insurance at the moment on it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
so yes, I had time today to check the bike out closer, so need to check the wires coming from the connector, last I checked no bent pins but will check tomorrow when I get some more time, but there is 12v dc coming from the fuse, when switched on. the turn indicators left and right as well as highbeams come on, no oil, no digital display, no neutral lights come on. no tail light unless break is applied.
I will check the wires and the leads coming out tomorrow. just been nice weather for getting gardens and building green house boxes. Can't really ride as I have no insurance at the moment on it.
Remember, there could be a break in the Brown/black or Brown wire somewhere on the bike, doesn't have to be just near those connectors. Good luck. What electrical mods have been done to the bike, any?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember, there could be a break in the Brown/black or Brown wire somewhere on the bike, doesn't have to be just near those connectors. Good luck. What electrical mods have been done to the bike, any?
lights were changed to harley lights, the front right was loose, and after tightening it, it broke the wire and shorted out the lights, replaced the fuse and fixed the broken wire, and now, no dash light or display, that's why I think there may be a simple capacitor on the circuit board that may be blown but haven't got that far to check, trying the easy possible things first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
since I don't have a manual for the bike, I'm wondering if there is an inline fuse somewhere I am missing or what is the box with all the wires going to it ontop of the battery? maybe that got shorted out?

·
Registered
11,699 Posts
The Neutral and oil pressure light do not have any capacitors.
Black/Brown wire supplies +12v to the speedo unit.
There are several splices: to Optional fog light conn, to VSS, to Speedo, to Frt Run lights via TS switch.
Black/Brown on the Black 6 pin connector in the head light bucket.
At the Main harness where the Speedo cables break out, find the Bl/Br and check voltage.
Have you checked the Bl/Br at the Speedo Green connector?
Neutral and Oil have +12v (and a resistor) from the speedo and look for a ground to illuminate the led.
Above the battery is the Ignition Control Module (ICM) takes a signal from the TPS to set timing advance.
The remainder of the ICM is Ign coil drivers and status of safety switches.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Neutral and oil pressure light do not have any capacitors.
Black/Brown wire supplies +12v to the speedo unit.
There are several splices: to Optional fog light conn, to VSS, to Speedo, to Frt Run lights via TS switch.
Black/Brown on the Black 6 pin connector in the head light bucket.
At the Main harness where the Speedo cables break out, find the Bl/Br and check voltage.
Have you checked the Bl/Br at the Speedo Green connector?
Neutral and Oil have +12v (and a resistor) from the speedo and look for a ground to illuminate the led.
Above the battery is the Ignition Control Module (ICM) takes a signal from the TPS to set timing advance.
The remainder of the ICM is Ign coil drivers and status of safety switches.
on the end of my multi meter, I jammed a wire in on the black brown and put it to postivie, and the green to my negative, turned the key to on, nothing reads out. So where do I go from here. all the fuse have now been replaced with new ones.

·
Registered
11,699 Posts
Black/Brown wire shows up in several places.
Check ALL...
Does the fuse holder contacts look good?
Inspect that Black/Brown wire below the fuse holder.
Has it been cut or broken?
Also use the frame ground to verify that the Ground wire is good.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Check the green (ground) for continuity. If no continuity check for open circuit in the ground (green wire)

Check for power at the 10A Tail/Meter fuse.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It was the brown wire near the license plate on my bike. I went threw the same process. Follow the brown wire back from fuse box under the fender to plate. If any mods wore done check where they spliced the wires.. Make sure you recheck the 10 amp fuse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts