Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to post this earlier to no avail but it seems to be working now. Anyhoo...

So I'm fairly new to riding and definitely new to a vtwin. Bought this bike off a navy seal friend of mine. Very well cared for with only 16k miles on it. Runs great, starts up in the morning with little effort and in warm weather doesn't even need the choke really. Warms up pretty quick. Engine is fairly smooth but...

At around what I believe to be around 2000ish rpms (no tach so impossible to really tell) I get some fairly mean vibration. Once I hit that "sweet spot" it lasts for maybe 500-700 rpms or so. When cruising with a light hand on the throttle the vibes aren't that noticeable really but they are certainly there. But once I go wide open throttle from a lower rpm range (which I know is lugging it a bit, but I don't want to cruise at 3500+ rpms at all times) the vibes get pretty intense. Mostly felt in the saddle. Its not intensely uncomfortable or anything but I am a bit paranoid about "less than smooth" engine characteristics and I'm not used to a v twin so I want to make sure I catch problems early before they become big problems.

This very well may be the characteristic of the bike. Its got some loud pipes and for all I know the vibes I'm feeling may just be the sound reverberating on the chassis. The mirrors rattle enough to make distant cars indistinguishable for their model when the vibes are at their worst but still plenty visible. Nothing I don't think one would come to expect from a motorcycle with a v twin rumbling. Its just those intense vibes in the seat in that very specific rpm range that has me paranoid.

So my question is this. Is this normal? Am I just being over critical or should this thing be as smooth as a car through all the rpm ranges? How much vibration is normal and what is considered "too much"? I'm more than comfortable with the feeling of what's going on. I just want to know it's normal so I can be at peace with it. And if it's not, what I need to do to fix it.

I've already put a wrench to all the motor mounts and everything was tight and the engine is snug to the frame as you would expect it to be. When revving up in neutral while sitting in my garage the motor doesn't visibly shake or act weird or anything. Only mod the bike has performance wise is a kuryakyn hypercharger with jets and all that, and I dunno what's going on with the exhaust but it's beastly loud and the videos I've seen of these stock seem to be quieter so he may have done something with the exhaust. I recently changed all the lube and swapped out the spark plugs. Idles like a machine gun. Steady and with gusto.

Can anyone elaborate here?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I'm 6'6" and about 380. Pushing the limits of 2 up riding as a single rider. Not sure if this info is pertinent to anything but I figure id put that out there in case people notice more vibes when pushing the motor harder riding heavy 2 up.

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
1300 has some unique vibrations.
First check vacuum hoses. OEM hoses crack/split on the inside. Hypercharger hoses have broken and fell off.
A had a set of JC Whitney mufflers on once, a very strong vibe at 52 MPH.
My post from July 2017 >Metzler me888 rear tire creates a weird harmonic on de-cel between 30 to 27 mph that causes shock Covers to vibrate.
My Michelin Commander 2 seems to have some vibes at various RPMs.
Pull the clutch to isolate the engine from the drive train, wheels/tires at peak vibration.

Find out if you have another VTX rider out there to see what they think...Location???

Certain times I have seen the tank do some rocking, always wanted to video that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No this is strictly an engine vibration. Engine runs great and has plenty of power and the issue is only in that very specific rpm range. Any rpm outside of that its no more vibratious than my lawnmower. If I pull the clutch its gone. Definitely engine related. In general, if I'm in neutral in the garage and I slowly bring the idle up the vibes come with it. Just not as pronounced. It's definitely a byproduct of putting it under load within that rpm range

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the more I lug it and wide open throttle it in that range, the heavier the vibration. Almost feels like a mild air hammer hitting the frame or something. Just vibrates my ass up a bit.

·
Registered
11,350 Posts

·
Super Moderator
63,661 Posts
It was working before Gunslinger but as a new member your first 5 posts must be seen and approved by a site moderator before they will show up on the public board. I now see at least 3 of this same thread waiting to be approved. Please, go to the New Member Welcome board and read the Sticky thread there that explains the rules of this board, thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
All I have to add is my C had Cobra Shorts installed.
There was a noticeable vibration around 70MPH. A couple MPH above or below the bike was pretty smooth.
A friend riding beside me said he could see the pipes vibrating.

Also please include city & state and/or country in your profile...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its strictly on acceleration. And from the lower rPm range. Once I hit closer to 3000 rpms or so it evens out and the vibration is mild and steady. Generally only the worst when heavily accelerating at around 1500-2000 rpms or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To add,I only really feel it much in the seat and on the floor boards. Mirrors don't even shake much.

As for my profile, I can't find a place to put more info. I added a photo and changed my time zone settings but that's about all it will let me do.

·
Registered
822 Posts
To add,I only really feel it much in the seat and on the floor boards. Mirrors don't even shake much.

As for my profile, I can't find a place to put more info. I added a photo and changed my time zone settings but that's about all it will let me do.
Add your bike info in a signature line.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Click on "User CP" next to "Log Out" in right hand corner. on left side of page, many BOLD headings, under "Settings and Options" click on "Edit signature"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its an 06 vtx 1300 with a hypercharger.

Anyone have any insight to how much low rpm wide open throttle vibration/shaking is normal?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't know how much or even how to gauge vibration, but, I was used to smooth quiet inline 4s when I got my 1300. They do vibrate and they are noisy but tough as hell. After riding smooth bikes for many years the VTX feels really rough but ride a old Harley for a while and the VTX won't feel so bad. I've had mine for almost 2 years and hope I'll eventually get used to it. It's not a high rpm bike but it don't like lugging either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok that's good to know. The most I've ridden before now was dirt bikes and seldom at that. But a much different beast. I've ridden a street bike before and while it had a bit of a buzz to it, High pitched but very mild, it didn't shake rattle and roll quite like this machine lol

·
Registered
915 Posts
Tried to post this earlier to no avail but it seems to be working now. Anyhoo...

So I'm fairly new to riding and definitely new to a vtwin. Bought this bike off a navy seal friend of mine. Very well cared for with only 16k miles on it. Runs great, starts up in the morning with little effort and in warm weather doesn't even need the choke really. Warms up pretty quick. Engine is fairly smooth but...

At around what I believe to be around 2000ish rpms (no tach so impossible to really tell) I get some fairly mean vibration. Once I hit that "sweet spot" it lasts for maybe 500-700 rpms or so. When cruising with a light hand on the throttle the vibes aren't that noticeable really but they are certainly there. But once I go wide open throttle from a lower rpm range (which I know is lugging it a bit, but I don't want to cruise at 3500+ rpms at all times) the vibes get pretty intense. Mostly felt in the saddle. Its not intensely uncomfortable or anything but I am a bit paranoid about "less than smooth" engine characteristics and I'm not used to a v twin so I want to make sure I catch problems early before they become big problems.

This very well may be the characteristic of the bike. Its got some loud pipes and for all I know the vibes I'm feeling may just be the sound reverberating on the chassis. The mirrors rattle enough to make distant cars indistinguishable for their model when the vibes are at their worst but still plenty visible. Nothing I don't think one would come to expect from a motorcycle with a v twin rumbling. Its just those intense vibes in the seat in that very specific rpm range that has me paranoid.

So my question is this. Is this normal? Am I just being over critical or should this thing be as smooth as a car through all the rpm ranges? How much vibration is normal and what is considered "too much"? I'm more than comfortable with the feeling of what's going on. I just want to know it's normal so I can be at peace with it. And if it's not, what I need to do to fix it.

I've already put a wrench to all the motor mounts and everything was tight and the engine is snug to the frame as you would expect it to be. When revving up in neutral while sitting in my garage the motor doesn't visibly shake or act weird or anything. Only mod the bike has performance wise is a kuryakyn hypercharger with jets and all that, and I dunno what's going on with the exhaust but it's beastly loud and the videos I've seen of these stock seem to be quieter so he may have done something with the exhaust. I recently changed all the lube and swapped out the spark plugs. Idles like a machine gun. Steady and with gusto.

Something very similar has been reported in the forums before.

Here's a thread, there are more:
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/4025026-post1.html

Does it sound anythink like the 1300C in this Youtube video"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh god no. That's a crazy sound. Id be flipping out if my bike was making noises like that. Its not a noise, it's a vibration. I feel it. Mostly just in the seat and foot boards. Very well could just be lugging it with loud pipes reverberating off the frame. The bike is loud..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought my 2004 1300S in April after riding A Spyder RT and then a Goldwing 1800 for the past 3 years.
3 things struck me right away:
1. The vibration of the VTX. It felt extreme to me but after reading on the forum it appears to be normal
2. Regardless of where I set the rear shocks, I got a real jolt whenever I went over a bump
3. The stock seat sucks for me

The first thing I did was order an Ultimate Lowrider solo seat as my wife doesn’t ride on the back any more. I didn’t order a backrest but the seat comes with the hardware built into the seat if I ever want to add it.
In my opinion the seat has the proper name. I can now ride all day with absolutely no discomfort. Also, I now get less vibration through the seat and I don’t get the severe jolt when I go over bumps.

But yes, the bike vibrates.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My wife's 04 1300 C vibrates real bad at anything above 40 mph or so, vibrates so bad you can't see anything in both mirrors. I have checked everything I can think and still can't figure it out/

1 - 20 of 33 Posts