Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed the Right fork due to a suspected leaking seal. Once it was apart it is obvious that it was the oil seal and the dust boot. I used the pull method of pulling the Slider down to remove the oil seal from the slider.
This method causes the Back-up Ring to push the Guide Bushing down onto the Slider Bushing.
So, now on re-assembly, i have a question on where to position the Guide Bushing on the Fork Tube? Note: When i was removing the oil seal, it drove the back-up ring and guide bushing down onto the slider bushing, i assumed.
Does the Guide bushing go on top of the Slider bushing on re-assembly?
Also, on the bottom oil lock piece Bolt, is it better to use Med locktight as the manual says, or a thread sealant? There is a copper washer on the bolt of course.
Note: Bike only has 5k miles. But i do plan on replacing all the bushings, rings and oil seal.
Thanks, JJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i've been looking at numerous rebuild videos, but so far no mention of the actual location positioning of the guide bushing. Maybe it doesnt matter since the fork tube slides up and down.
Appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With reference to reinstalling the bolt with the copper washer on the oil lock piece, the manual only shows med locktite.
Some of the videos mention thread sealant by itself. Anyone have experience as which is best?

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
You have a copper washer to seal it.
Locking agent to keep the screw from backing out.
Why not use what Honda suggests.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hans & Feet, thanks for your replies. I was reading one of your responses about how to get the Fork Cap back on by my self with the forks off the bike. Can you clear up the message about how you used the 2 x 4 and drilled holes?
I dont have a helper and like to hear about your experience on the fork assembly process.
Thanks, JJ

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
I may have used a strap with the clamp and saw horse.

I used GM ATF at two fluid changes. it is 10 weight oil.
No Honda time line for fork maintenance so when I did my first change,
oil was low, most of it was stuck to the spring. It stunk.

Assemble the fork, spring, washer, spacer and cap.
A strap to put some pressure from the bottom of the tube to the cap and
pull it together a little.
Verify the cap is on correct, then turn the tube CCW and when the cap drops
off the first tube thread and it looks straight, slowly tighten CC.
You should hand tighten this only until cap seated.

https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/vtx-1300-2nd-oil-change-clamp-tool_20190423-jpg.211266/

·
Registered
2007 1300 C
615 Posts
Does the Guide bushing go on top of the Slider bushing on re-assembly?
but so far no mention of the actual location positioning of the guide bushing.
2008 honda VTX 1300 fork rebuild - YouTube

at 17:30 he shows where the guide bushing seats in the slider using a driver of some sort, I took my fork tube to Home depot and found a pvc pipe connector that would fit inside slider and outside of fork tube for just a few dollars, I have replaced bushings and seals several times with it

·
Registered
2007 1300 C
615 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just saw this over on the VTX CAFE

Fork seal Driver alternative
(2) Fork seal Driver alternative | Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum (vtxcafe.com)

you may already have this in your garage
Thanks for this video, i have seen several and they all help on this first time for fork seal/bushing replacement.
I have a question that has come up about the Backup Ring that goes on top of the guide bushing.
i purchased new parts all around and i marked the old ones coming out. So, the bushing have a rounded taper on one side and a more square edge on the other side. The manual does not indicate the placement on this issue.
Other videos have mentioned the sq edge goes facing the guide bushing, but the ones i took out had the sq edge facing the oil seal.
Do you or anyone know which way is the preferred way to install the back up ring? I'm putting the forks back today.
Thanks,

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
On the "1300 Fork seals by Toasted" PDF someone added this::
09-11-2011, 11:36 PM
bluestreakrem
Just a correction to the detailed reassembly procedure.
The Back Up Washer, that is installed between the oil seal and guide bushing, appears to be shown as installed upside
down in the picture. The Back Up Washer is not dimensionally the same on both sides. One side of the washer has
rounded edges, the other side has sharp square edges. The washer should be installed with the square edge facing the
guide bushing, as per the manual.

I do not see that on the 03-04 1300 SM..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was trying to verify this in the manual but no mention of it. My ring that came out had the sq edge up. maybe honda didn't put them in correctly from the factory. There has to be a reason the washers are different edges.
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts