Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all and appreciate any and all help and advice. I want to add 14" ape hangers (ebay item from AZ) does anyone know any issues besides longer cables will I run into? Does anyone have idea of best place to order cables etc? This is a first for me wanting to change the handlebars out!

These are the bars I am looking to purchase and install! Any suggestion? Also, if I don't quite get the amount of lift any suggestions on risers to move my hands up that much more??

EBAY - BLACK 14" x 1 1/4" "RAPTOR" HONDA VTX APE HANGER HANDLEBAR USA MADE by JSR

THANKS TO ALL WHO ANSWER AND HELP!!

Stan

·
Super Moderator
63,681 Posts
If you want the job to look like it belongs on the bike, you should do what is called a "Mock-up". Meaning, you get the bars and install them and place them in the position you will be riding with them. Then mount all the controls, grips, switch housings, throttle, brake master cylinder and clutch lever on the bars(without the cables/hoses/wires attached)
Now take a solid core wire and use that wire to make your brake hose by taping the wire to the brake master cylinder and run it to where the stock line attaches to. Tape it in place there and then get on the bike and move the bars from lock to lock and make sure the wire does not stretch or bind up. When you have it in a good position, then mark the wire and measure it from the marks. NOW you can order that brake hose. Repeat this for each cable/hose you need to custom order. Why all this? Because;
A. Once you order a custom part, it is yours, no returns
B. You want it to look good on the bike and not have droopy wires/cables/hoses

For the electrical wires, just be sure to stagger your splice cuts. If you cut them all in the same spot, you end up with a HUGE bump in the wire loom from all the wire splice connectors being in that same spot. Looks like a snake that just swallowed a rabbit = not pretty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts