Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my VTX into Honda dealership in Moorpark due to a bad battery. I asked them about the stains on fins of the engine. Said due to leaking coolant. So I had them check it out. What they came up with was the pipe under the bike was scraped due to running over a speed bump. So I should have said forget it. But I had them replace the pipe even though that pipe underneath would have nothing to do with stains on the fins. That was 10/26/2019 when I picked it up. On 1/04/2020 went for a ride and coolant had leaked out under the bike. I tightened the clamp on the pipe and drove it home with temp light coming on and off. At home I checked the reservoir and it was dry. Filled it up with coolant. Took it to the dealership and asked them about it. They said they checked it for leaks at the time they replaced the pipe. They didn't look at the bike. Took it home figuring it just leaked from the clamp. Didn't ride it until today, 1/07/2020, rode 25 miles to work, and my temp light came on and off. Got to work and checked the reservoir and it had about 2-3 in. of coolant left where before I had filled it to the max line.

Never had any issues before so what did they do to make me lose my coolant. And by the way, I haven't liked how the engine ran since I picked it up in Octorber as it runs not as smoothly as before, but does run.

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Coolant level has to be checked at the radiator cap under the tank.
You should be able to lift it and use a wood block to hold it in place while checking/adding coolant.

They probably filled it once and did not get the air pockets(trapped air) out.
Burping the cooling system required AFTER installing the coolant.
I used a vacuum pump that brought a few air pockets(bubbles) up when I did the coolant replacement.
Service manual and numerous threads on the forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that what happened was that the coolant leaked out due to loose hose clamp, then I filled it up in the reservoir, but that was not enough to fill the radiator to which it got hot as it needed more coolant, which makes sense as it got hot after 20 miles.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Do yourself a favor....Find u some fellow riders or a tech session and quit wasting money at the dealers....I dont know about a 1800..but 1300 is simple...good luck

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Do you think that what happened was that the coolant leaked out due to loose hose clamp, then I filled it up in the reservoir, but that was not enough to fill the radiator to which it got hot as it needed more coolant, which makes sense as it got hot after 20 miles.
I suspect trapped air in the system when coolant installed.
Squeezing the lower hose, burping(engine running with cap off) allows air bubbles to rise up.

I connected vacuum pump to the coolant return hose from the thermostat housing.
The vacuum reduced the hose diameter which allowed bubbles to rise.
Several cycles of vacuum and fill than coolant level stabilized at the fill cap.
Burping was a waste of time since all the air bubbles had been evacuated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Stains on the fins may have come from the crossover tube between the cylinders. Happened to mine. Just replaced o-rings and has never happened again.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If you're still getting fresh coolant stains on the fins between the cylinders take a look at the two small hoses connected to the WAX valve located directly behind the throttle body. There are four hose clamps in that area and one may need tightening. The worse case is one of the two hoses may have a split.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cost me about $200 at the Honda dealership to find out the radiator cap wasn't holding pressure. I filled the reservoir to the max line and when I rode 20 miles and engine got hot, well there goes the coolant and the engine light starts coming on. The overflow hose goes under the bike and I couldn't see it coming out. So mystery where my coolant was disappearing to solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts