Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about LED turn signals. I would like to change out my incandescent bulbs for LEDs. I have read tons of threads on multiple forums, including this one. I have the 9 pin flasher or a some may call relay. I have read about the conversion to the electronic flasher and splicing the wires for front and rear to make that work. Everything I've read says that you lose the front lights as marker lights if you do this mod. I don't want that. I want the front turn signals to remain as markers as well as turn signals. Has anyone found a way to make that happen? I absolutely will not add resistors because that defeats one of the purposes of LEDs in the first place, which is reducing power consumption. I have read about the Kisan signal minder but the one VTX review on that unit was not favorable and did not mention whether or not the front marker feature remained or not. Sorry this is long winded but I figured I would spell it all out up front before questions came. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love all of the shared info on here and hope to be able to contribute.

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
My theory (not tested) is Switchbacks should work on the front as marker lights and go off when TS turned on. Standard led 3 wire flasher used.. I would make jumpers to tie the same color wires together and to connect the flasher.. This is to prevent cutting any OEM wires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My theory (not tested) is Switchbacks should work on the front as marker lights and go off when TS turned on. Standard led 3 wire flasher used.. I would make jumpers to tie the same color wires together and to connect the flasher.. This is to prevent cutting any OEM wires.
Hans, you are the man! To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of the Switchback bulbs. That will be my solution. I will post my work as soon as I get it done. Thank you!

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
I used the Optional Fog Light connector to power my leds. I tinned the stranded wire than flattened it and it became a male pin. The OFL used a flat terminal therefore two male pins fit into a female terminal. Works great for leds. If the TS Controller used round pins, tin the wire and leave them round. Good luck. When I get home I will add a schematic for the TS controller..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided to change over to Switchback LEDs for both the front and back turn signals. Amber and white up front, and amber and red in the rear. I will rewire the front turn signals so that the clear portion of the bulbs serve as running lights, and amber for turn signal. The red portion on the rear will serve as extra brake lights. I already have clear lenses front and rear. One unanticipated obstacle is that the sockets front and rear are for single filament bulbs, so I will first have to install 4 sockets for 1157 bulbs. I will do the required rewiring and install an electronic flasher, as well as a brake light modulator of some type. Will post pictures as I progress. Thanks for the suggestion Hans!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the Optional Fog Light connector to power my leds. I tinned the stranded wire than flattened it and it became a male pin. The OFL used a flat terminal therefore two male pins fit into a female terminal. Works great for leds. If the TS Controller used round pins, tin the wire and leave them round. Good luck. When I get home I will add a schematic for the TS controller..
Tell me about this optional fog lamp connector. Is it on all VTXs, or just certain models? And where is it located? Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Tell me about this optional fog lamp connector. Is it on all VTXs, or just certain models? And where is it located? Thanks.
It is in your headlight bucket. You will see this 3 pin harness just sitting there unused. I cut mine and extended the wires a bit, then used it to tie into my Cobra Light bar with daymakers in them.

Click the picture for a larger image:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is in your headlight bucket. You will see this 3 pin harness just sitting there unused. I cut mine and extended the wires a bit, then used it to tie into my Cobra Light bar with daymakers in them.

Click the picture for a larger image:
Thanks JPT!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a question about LED turn signals. I would like to change out my incandescent bulbs for LEDs. I have read tons of threads on multiple forums, including this one. I have the 9 pin flasher or a some may call relay. I have read about the conversion to the electronic flasher and splicing the wires for front and rear to make that work. Everything I've read says that you lose the front lights as marker lights if you do this mod. I don't want that. I want the front turn signals to remain as markers as well as turn signals. Has anyone found a way to make that happen? I absolutely will not add resistors because that defeats one of the purposes of LEDs in the first place, which is reducing power consumption. I have read about the Kisan signal minder but the one VTX review on that unit was not favorable and did not mention whether or not the front marker feature remained or not. Sorry this is long winded but I figured I would spell it all out up front before questions came. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love all of the shared info on here and hope to be able to contribute.
I've read in the past about fancy add-ons and/or splicing and work-a-rounds and such for LEDs on M/Cs and never saw the reason for any of that (maybe they were older posts by the time I read them). What I did was simply replace my flasher unit with a solid state plug & play version from the local auto parts store. It didn't fit the OEM rubber holder so I just zip tied it to the metal bracket that the rubber flasher boot was on. Then I simply replaced both back and front turn signal bulbs with exact plug & play 1156/1157 LED bulbs. There are several good sites that sell real decent quality LED replacement bulbs. They cost a bit more but they last forever and they are bright!!! Then I replaced my tail light bulb with an LED bulb that has a brake flasher built into the bulb itself so again simple, old bulb out, new bulb in. I've had all LEDs in all my turns and tail/brake for 6-7 years now and never had one single problem with them. And after finding an LED headlight bulb that very closely meets the 9003 (H4) specs, I have all LEDs in every light fixture on my '08 VTX 1300C.
(Side note: I changed out the red dash LEDs for blue versions long ago too. Not any easier to see at night but I like the blue better then the red.)
When I installed the LED headlight bulb (which is even brighter then the knockoff Daymaker I had planned to install), I also added the headlight relay mod to save the contacts in my starter switch housing. One site I would recommend for LED replacements is JDMastar. This is where I bought all four of my LED turn signal bulbs, and maybe the brake bulb but I can't remember.

Also, one other thing I would recommend to any VTX owner is to do the mod (bareass choppers mod???) to add a ring of LEDs to the inside of your rear turn signal housings. I did this mod first (and have done the same mod to other bikes) and this mod saved me one time coming back from Daytona one night when my old incandescent lost the tail light filament (brake light still worked). My buddy later told me I ran the whole way back w/o a center tail light and said that w/o those LED rings in my turns, I would not have had any rear lights while going down the road. That mod will actually require a bit of wiring and splicing but not hard to do at all.

Hope some of that was useful to someone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have my new white/amber Switchback LEDs for the front. My bike has single filament bulbs front and rear for the turn signals, so I purchased four 1157 type sockets from autozone for the new 1157 type bulbs. I have removed the reflectors from the front turn signals and the sockets from the reflectors. I installed the new sockets and have tested the new Switchback bulbs. I have also tested them with a new electronic flasher from autozone. I plan to install all of the front components tomorrow and modify the wiring for the new flasher. I will then have two white running lights that automatically turn amber for turn function. I will do basically the same on the rear, but red/amber bulbs for additional brake lamps (red) and amber rear turn. I have been taking pics of the entire process and will post those along with a write up of everything I did.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my LED conversion done yesterday. Turned out exactly as planned. Will work on a write up with pics over the weekend. Couldn't be happier with the results! Thanks to all who helped!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts