Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All!

Flew out to visit relatives in Denver last week.
We rented a 2007 Road King Standard for a couple days.
It was a loaded, 103 c.i. screamin' eagle package.

All I have to say is,
I won't be looking to trade in my VTX 1800 anytime soon!!!

(Like I tell my buds, the VTX is twice the bike for half the price)

But seriously,...

Road King Pros:
1) 6 speed trans
2) fairly easy to handle, when rolling (especially at low speed manuvering)
3) 6 speed trans
4) good top end / power band
5) 6 speed trans
6) Harleys DO sound great!
7) Electronic (no key required) start enabled by proximity of Key-fob in your pocket!

Road King Cons:
1) the Price
2) the SHAKE/Vibration especially at idle/low speed 1st gear
3) the Price
4) not as quick
5) made for people 6' tall or more (hard to handle when stopped/stopping at intersections or parking.)
6) not as comfortable - passenger: rear crash bars forced wife's feet into the back of my calfs OR she had to angle her feet outward / ackwardly.

Really, not to take anything away from the HD, it was a nice ride to ride for a day or two, but with a few problems: when I came to a stop and put my feet down, they were exactly between the driver and passenger floorboards, and I almost dropped the bike twice when stopping because my legs would be blocked from moving to position the bike,... forget about trying to move forward or backward. The big V was nowhere near as quick as the VTX out of the hole, however when I was at 90mph in 5th gear with plenty of room on the throttle AND a WHOLE 'NOTHER GEAR to go,... Yikes! I liked that 6th gear! Still, the bike felt like it was made for somone over 6'. I am 5'9" and couldn't use the highway pegs, except to put my toes on (NOT comfortable!) Which is kind of funny because the Road King was actually "smaller" and lighter than my X, but seat was higher. Oh, yea,... WOW did that bike S-H-A-K-E when I was sitting at a stop sign or red light,... rattled our teeth!!!

Thanks! Enjoy!

I'm not saying I'll never own another Harley (especially if I hit the lottery) but I will still own the X!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went and looked at all the new Harley's a few weeks back, I don't know how they get away with it. I mean selling all those bikes for those prices and they all pretty much look the same in most regards.

I am brand loyal somewhat to Honda because I have been riding for 35 years and overall they have built the best products by far for the money.

All the Harley's I looked at compared to the Valkyrie I bought for long rides was just a toy in comparison and very overpriced.

That bike is probably on par with my VTX1300 if lucky and my VTX compared to my Valk for long trips is so inferior it is not funny.

So Harley should be realistic and call it the Toad King!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I am not a tall or big guy by any means. But, how do people fit on a HD. Not bashing here. They seem small to me when I sit on them compared to my X.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes they do seem small.

But that's not what stopped me from buying a '98 Electra Glide a couple years ago. It was the awful shaking. At idle the thing shook so bad I thought I was sitting on an old washing machine! When I attempted to view the controls I saw absolutley nothing! Everything was a total blur! Once moving though it was a pretty nice ride, although it did lack the power I was used to and the occassional rattling. Needless to say I was very dissappointed. I had been thinking about a bagger to compliment my C, and thought this would be the bike. Little did I know it was so unrefined.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I mean I like the bikes as a backup but for a main source for a long trip and for 20 grand I think those guy's have a great con going but something tells me it is about over.

At least Triumph is making truly original bikes but the Harley's are about as exciting as watching a dog take a crap as someone else put it.

When a person buy's a new Harley it is like bend over and insert for them, I guess some peole like it that way !

·
Registered
483 Posts
It was interesting to read your post. I just got back today from 4 days in Myrtle Beach with a buddy who is building a new home there. We rented a couple of Harley's for two days from the local dealership . I had a Road King, my buddy had a Softail Heritage Classic . The dealership was top notch - Harley knows how to treat customers . The bikes were both '07 models - mine had less than 8000 miles on it, Tom's just over 9000. The pro's for me were the lowspeed handling , forgiving suspension , user controls (directionals on each grip and self canceling signals) and the smart key option on both bikes. Cons for me were the engine vibrations - especially at idle and engaging first gear - the bike almost feels "crude" ; the huge front and rear floorboards - I also trapped my ankle a couple of times ; and the heat being thrown by the engine (we had a couple of 90+ days with high humidity which made for a real unpleasant time when you got stuck in traffic). Throttle response wasn't bad but nowhere near the X.
The Heritage Classic had nowhere near the engine vibration that the Road King had - when we swapped bikes my buddy thought there was something wrong with the Road King - the vibration was that much more pronounced. When I mentioned the difference to the dealer he stated that although both bikes use the same 96 cu. in. engine, the softails use a different mounting system which reduces vibration - if true , they should use it for the Road King as well. I enjoyed the Harley's for the two days we had them but riding them made me appreciate the VTX more than I had before.
Joe

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hey Wendall!!! Havent heard or seen ya in a while...

Thanks for the review. Talk to ya later.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with all that!

Yes, the low speed handling was easier than the heavy-weight VTX. I did a few "U" turns across traffic lanes (when it was clear!) and didn't have as much trouble as with my X. I think the RoadKing is lighter? The idle vibrations practially rattled my teeth loose! The initial torque, off the line or out of the hole wasn't anywhere near the VTX power, but the long run AND the extra gear were great out on the open highway. And I forgot about the controls, but yes! the Harleys have signal switches that are easier to operate, one on each side, AND they are self-cancelling! Still, I won't be looking to trade my X to buy a Harley unless I hit a lottery jackpot.

I had a 1200 sporty and took it to the local Honda shop for a tire and inspection in 05, when they offered me a deal on the leftover 1800 VTX that I literally "could not refuse!" I've been grinning ear to ear ever since.

PS: My wife complained the whole time about the heat coming from the pipes under her floorboards. Her feet were HOT!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rentals prices?

I rented based on location, so I paid a little more than the best price I found, but a little less than the highest, in Denver. I rented from Mile-High Harley in Aurora, CO because they were 2 miles from the relatives we were staying with.

Mile-High's prices were: For smaller bikes, i.e. fat-boy, heritage, $129 per day (24hrs,) all Road Kings were $139 per day, and everything above, street or road-glide, ultra, etc were $149 per day. They included helmets and rain gear (as do most rentals). All bikes had bags, passenger back rest, and windshields as a minimum.

The insurance was optional but recommended, although even with the best coverage (an additional $35 per day) if the bike was totalled or stolen you were still responsible for $2000 out of pocket expense.

Mile high had a fleet of 62 brand new, 07 bikes. I thnk they rent from april to october, then sell the fleet for a slightly lower than brand new price. I flew in on Thursday, took a shuttle to the hotel across the street, and then went to Mile-high. The RoadKing standard was about my 5th choice down the list, but that was all I could get because I didn't reserve ahead of time. (I wanted to actually sit on them first, then pick.) I wanted the Street Glide! The Roadking only had 1800 miles on it.

Harely's site has a link to rentals, you can go there and pick your city, and you'll get a list of renting dealers, usually with web sites. Some dealers rented by the day as in open to close / 9am to 5pm / for $70+. Some dealers offered free shuttle from airport/hotel. Also, most dealers had packages for a better price for longer periods - like a week?

Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Like my wife so aplty pointed out,... there is no better way to "sight-see" than on a bike. To quote an old Yamaha commercial from the 70's, "...with a sun-roof as big as the sky!"

·
Registered
483 Posts
The Myrtle Beach dealer had about 15 rental bikes . The Road King was $185.00 per day, the Heritage Classic $165.00 The bikes were equipped as described in Thrill's message . Insurance coverage was the same as well.
Joe

·
Registered
700 Posts
What are the age limits to rent? Also do you know if they rent V Rods?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The Myrtle Beach dealer didn't mention age requirements but they did require a Drivers License with a Motorcycle endorsement as well as a major credit card. They also had V Rods but not the NightRod which has the forward foot controls. They also required a helmet and watched you take the bike around their parking lot for a few loops .

·
Registered
603 Posts
jacII said:
The Myrtle Beach dealer didn't mention age requirements but they did require a Drivers License with a Motorcycle endorsement as well as a major credit card. They also had V Rods but not the NightRod which has the forward foot controls. They also required a helmet and watched you take the bike around their parking lot for a few loops .
I have rented Harleys a few times over the years and what you describe is pretty much their standard proceedure. Also note that your credit card should have at least $1500. The last dealer told me the deposit was either $1500 cash or a credit card with that much on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts