Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 1300 has only 4,500 miles but still has the factory dunlops. There seems to be a very small amouny of dry rot. I have only been riding about a year and have alot to learn. Can anyone give me,some advice? Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Replace them 7 years is a long time for a tire. With only 4,500 miles I assume it has sat for long periods of time. The tires are at high risk for a blow out which could cause an accident.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You didn't say what model you have.
Not to start an arguement, looking for clarification.. Would the model affect tire recommendation ?
IE A different tire for a C over an R ?
Do they come with different tires from model to model ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
My 2007 1300 has only 4,500 miles but still has the factory dunlops. There seems to be a very small amouny of dry rot. I have only been riding about a year and have alot to learn. Can anyone give me,some advice? Thanks
There is a variety of opinions from Tire makers, the RMA (Rubber Manufacturer's Association) etc etc. Most concur that after 6 years the UV damage to the rubber warrants tire replacement, some say 10 years.. I worked at a Goodyear for a decade, I've seen and heard damn near it all when it comes to tires...My Opinion
6 years.. DITCH IT, Tires are cheap...getting asphalt tweezed outta yer face cause your tire blew out.. Not so cheap. If it shows ANY Dry rot at all... Really need to answer that ? You have TWO tires, one goes poof..You know what happens next ya ? I tend to put the best tire I can find on my bike, but I tend to go fast and push corners, not everyone does that nor do they need the best tire money can buy. I'd rather have a New CHEAP tire, than a 7-8 year old GOOD tire. Period.

This is all Just my Opinion, it's free and ya get what ya Pay for :)

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Not to start an arguement, looking for clarification.. Would the model affect tire recommendation ?
IE A different tire for a C over an R ?
Do they come with different tires from model to model ?
A C front tire is a diferent size than an R/S. ST.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A C front tire is a diferent size than an R/S. ST.
Ah, that I knew.. From the way you responded to his question I had anticipated that different models came with different style tires, not unheard of.
Cars makers do it all the time, Mazda 3 comes with a Dunlop Direzza DZ101 and a Mazda CX-5 will come with a Michelin.. (just as an example)

Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
You didn't say what model you have.
for the purpose of the question asked, the model really doesn't matter.

a 2007 VTX with original tires?

Doesn't really matter at all if it's an R/S/T/C/N. . . . he needs to replace the tires. The size of the tires is not at all important to the problem at hand. . Especially where he admitted he sees some dry rotting.

OP: GET NEW TIRES before you put many more miles on. 7 years is a long time. Sure they are low mileage but they are rotting. A blow out will not be pleasant.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
No question, none. Replace.

·
Super Moderator
64,003 Posts
Replace them. They are old, rotted and cracked. Think of it this way, you only have 2 tires on the road, how well can you ride a motorcycle on 1 wheel??????

·
Registered
260 Posts
And for the next set of tires, be sure you ride enough that they need to be replaced due to wear not age.
It feels better. :lol:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Don't take a chance, change them. A new set costs less than replacing all the chrome on your bike and skin grafts for you. Ride safe, ride often.

·
Registered
609 Posts
get new tires . 7 years old tire is a bad news even if looks new
i would stay away from stock dunlops
metzler 880 , gets great reviews from vtx riders here

again don't take chances and get new tires
ride safe

·
Registered
223 Posts
The last 2 bikes I bought had the original tires, both had lots of tread left but they were about 9 years old, the first thing I did was replace them. My life is worth more than getting a few extra miles from an old set of tires.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Replace yes! Echo what the boards have said. Second read I wondered if you were looking for advice on what brand of tires?? I replaced mine with Avon Venom AM42/AM41. And know the others on the board will chime in. Different riding styles and conditions will warrant different tires. More so, some are better for certain riding terrain/style. Do a search if you'd like. Lots of info on the different tires out there. Main brands about three.

Good Luck. Get new rubber between your arse and the road before you go out again!
Hobbes

·
Registered
57 Posts
We'll assume the advice you're looking for is on your tires.

Yes, replace them asap. They're at the long end of a safe age and if there is dry rot it's very clear they need to go.

I replaced the oe front on my '08 last fall due to age. It still looked in good shape and had wear remaining, but I'd rather err on the side of safety, especially on a vehicle with only 2 wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much for the advice!!!

Hey thanks everyone for the advice! I figured I should probably do it but I wanted to talk to someone more experienced just to get a second opinion. Im looking to order a new set and now im just trying to figure out which ones!! Thanks again

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
OK OK OK...the tires are definitely old and need to be replace.. But this is not the problem. The problem is 2007 VTX with under 5000 miles.
WTF, get out and ride that bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts