Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a new to me 2007 vtx 1300 with Vance and Hines exhaust one owner with 20k miles. Absolutely love the bike so far as my previous bike was an 05 boulevard c50. I am having issues with cold start and stumble off of idle. I have read lots of post on here and so far I have changed the plugs and (I do not use the choke), Pulled the bowl off of the carb and it was pretty clean but I went ahead and removed the jets and cleaned them thoroughly and set the A/F screw at 2 1/4 turns, and checked the accelerator pump. The previous owner has never had any carb work done. I am in northeast Alabama and right now the morning temps are lower 30s to mid 40s. I can give the throttle a couple twist and get the bike to fire up and idle but it seems to take a really long time before I can give it throttle without it dying. Once I can give it throttle it stumbles off of idle. Once the bike has ran for about 30 minutes or so it seems to run and ride great. But can’t let the bike sit and run for 30 minutes before I ride it every morning. The biggest problem is when I leave my house and get on the road my first stop is on a pretty steep hill and with it stumbling off idle it makes it very difficult to take off across 4 lanes of traffic.

·
Super Moderator
63,681 Posts
Welcome, there is a "New Member Intro" board where you would have seen the Sticky thread explaining how your first 5 posts must be seen and approved by a moderator like me before they will show up for public viewing. This helps keep spammers off the board. There are only 3 of us doing this on our spare time for free so please only post once and allow us some time to find and approve your threads, thanks ;)

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
Did you make note of the jet numbers??
If you have stock jets use the choke aka cold start enrichment.

Every cold start I pull the knob out fully, crank/start, than push in the knob to reduce the the idle speed lower.

Put on gloves and helmet. I have a stop and go. Get on the road and and when I make it to 3rd or 4th gear push in the knob.
There is a slight gap between the rubber cover and the knob, about 1/8", that is normal.
A nut under the rubber cover to control the closing. If the choke closes itself, the engine will die. Too cold/too soon, no high idle.

Check vacuum hoses, they tend to crack on the interior wall.

You have V&H so probably the PAIR valve was removed.
Vacuum from manifold, a TEE, one port to petcock, the other port to carb ACO.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine has issues with cold starts as well but all I need to do it stay lightly on the throttle so about 10-15 seconds just to get the rpm's up and once it warms slightly it will idle albeit is a bit low. But I have zero issues with it after that. Sometimes finding and repairing the gremlins is half the fun lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
The scar mod only affects the high speed main jet. By adding the washer, it raises the needle thus allowing more gas to flow. Has nothing to do with the low speed jet. I would check for cracks in the vacuum hoses and also for pin holes in the slide diaphram.

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
Mine has issues with cold starts as well but all I need to do it stay lightly on the throttle so about 10-15 seconds just to get the rpm's up and once it warms slightly it will idle albeit is a bit low. But I have zero issues with it after that. Sometimes finding and repairing the gremlins is half the fun lol
Hyper-charger hose have broken frequently.
Inspect all hoses.

Choke aka cold start enrichment works great when pulled out all the way.
A poor transition at closing with no fast idle = engine dies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do apologize as I did not realize I had posted two times. It does have the stock jets and the pair valve is still on the bike. When I cleaned the carb the vacuum lines at the T were split internally so I replaced the vac lines while I was there. I have no issue with cold idle, it will start and idle fine but I have a dead spot/stumble off idle until the bike has been rode for a long distance and is completely warmed up. I actually have the bike torn back down right now and I am going to attempt the scar mod tomorrow. I only have a 2 mile commute to work so it is a bit aggravating that it is being so cold natured. I have read several post on here about cold starts and nobody seems to have these issues and they just get on them and go. I believe my A/F mixture is pretty close to good. When the bike is completely warm it falls right back down to idle it doesn’t settle back down or catch itself. I appreciate all of the help! This is a great forum! Just a side note, I am a Ford Tech so I do know all of the basics about engines and such but I’m new the the motorcycle world and carbs so all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just letting everyone know that I did the scar mod today and it is like a whole new bike! Fixed all of the issues I was having. Throttle response is amazing and absolutely no more dead spots. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hyper-charger hose have broken frequently.
Inspect all [email protected];

Choke aka cold start enrichment works great when pulled out all the way.
A poor transition at closing with no fast idle = engine dies.

I am an amateur at best but there is conflicting evidence out there on choke. Some say choke is to be used for cold starts and some say a properly tuned bike shouldn't need choke at all. :confused:

Thanks for the advice! I keep forgetting to check those hoses. Hopefully I'll get to check that out this week unless work has got me busy. :banghead:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am an amateur at best but there is conflicting evidence out there on choke. Some say choke is to be used for cold starts and some say a properly tuned bike shouldn't need choke at all. :confused:

Thanks for the advice! I keep forgetting to check those hoses. Hopefully I'll get to check that out this week unless work has got me busy. :banghead:
The choke is specifically meant to be used for cold starts because the fuel/air ratio needed with cold fuel and cold engine is different than after the engine warms a bit.

Whoever is telling you that a choke is not needed "if tuned right" is wrong. It has nothing to do with that.

Read more about it here: https://www.bikebd.com/motorcycle-choke-its-purpose/

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went back and re-read the information I had seen (it had been a long while) I misspoke or misremembered.

The choke aka fuel enricher may foul the plugs faster. Which is the reason they do not recommend using the enricher. They recommend feathering the throttle until the engine idles smoothly.

That's the method they recommend instead of the enricher (choke) and how I've been doing it since I bought my bike. If anyone has evidence of the choke being better for the bike than feathering the throttle I'd love to see it. I'm all about learning and admitting when I'm wrong. The latter happens a lot :cus:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts