Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning and Happy New year everyone, I am new to the forum and of course experiencing a small problem. Last week I was warming the bike up getting ready to head out to work, it was about 37°f out. Choked it and started just fine, went in to the house could still hear it running went back out side after about 3-5 min and it was off. I went to start her back and all it did was turned over, no fire..... Everything came on like its supposed but it just would not fire over. When cranking it does sound a bit different, I did wash it 2 days prior to this happening. Just reaching out for a little help as to were I should start.

Thanks,
Chad D.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Make sure the fuel petcock is not in the "off" position. It should be set to "On" or "Reserve" depending on how much fuel you have in the tank. Are you out of Gas?
Long part of the petcock handle down is on, forward is off, and up is reserve (if less that 1.16 gal fuel in tank).

if the above is set right, next thing check the vacuum tube that goes from the back of the fuel petcock to the carb, it could be disconnected or have a leak in it that prevents the diaphragm in the petcock from opening and allowing fuel to flow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear your New Year started this way. Let's try to get you back on the road.
After you made sure you have gas, check the spark plugs for ignition problems.
If the plugs do spark, it's time to check the carburator.

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
the chock should be "held OUT" for 5-10 seconds..

otherwise it FLOODS the engine and fowl the spark plugs.

you said you used the Chock to start the engine.. BUT nothing about releasing the chock.

then as the others above have said.

< details >

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentleman just wanted to update everyone I pulled the battery and removed all fuses. One of the fuses had a little white residue on it so I cleaned it off and put everything back together and it fired right up. Thank you to everyone who commented with advice.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Batteries are responsible for a LOT of temporary rider anguish...:nerd:

Glad to hear it was something simple to fix! Ride safe. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts