Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really having no luck with vehicles! New battery on the motorcycle. The battery tender is just fine, but I hope I haven't ruined another battery. I looks like I have a short somewhere, and I don't even know where to begin to hunt it down. I pulled the ignition switch, but I need a special tool to take off the back plate!I disconnected my speed healer and gear indicator, and that didn't make a difference.
Any thoughts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,558 Posts
What makes you think you have a short?
What else have you added to it? Leds, USB port power, etc?
Is the battery polarity correct? Lately some have been installing the
correct size battery but the posts are incorrect polarity.
There is a test to check for a parasitic current draw - remove the
battery cable and insert your Multi-Meter leads between battery and
remove cable (Current setting Amps, Milliamps)
You can pull all the fuses out of the fuse box and the Main 30 amp
fuse in under the Red cap of the Starter Relay.
Check the charging voltage across the battery. 14 volts +/- a few tenths.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No add ons, other than mentioned, and I had removed those. I will do the leakage test, however, I am 99% convinced it is a bad ignition switch. Did a resistance check on it. Plus, realized my first battery going boom, was my fault. I volt tested it still connected to the bike. When no power with the second battery, I tested it separate, and it had full power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,558 Posts
I prefer to test on live circuits. A bad connection shows up where a resistance may show it to be good. I had a battery cell go open once. IGN sw on, lights and speedo, hit starter switch, all went dark. Recycled IGN switch, lights again, hit starter switch, all dark again. I was able to bump start my X. Battery tested at 12 amps capacity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,558 Posts
Glad to see you have taken care of it. Not many Ign switches go bad. The connector block terminals usually burn open.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top