Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this bike new and really has been a super bike, today something happened that I have never had happen in over 50 years of ridding. To start it was in the mid 90s I was out taking a short ride the bike was running great until I stop to pickup a 12 pack. Shut the bike off and when I came back to start it fired right up but it sounded like the starter was free spinning but not engaged tried to shut it down at the key nothing tried the kill switch nothing? I even tried to stall it but it kept lunging forward so I rode home with the noise from the starter still going, when I got home I tried again nothing . After a few minutes I pushed the kill switch turned the key off still running I hit the starter switch and it shut down. I haven't tried to restart it yet I want to get the seat off in case I have to disconnect the battery to shut it down. The bike only has 17000 miles on it did the starter switch go bad the Bendix spring in the starter stick if anyone out there has had this problem please HELP!

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Starter Relay contacts welded together. Frequently happens.. Weak battery usually the cause. At the top in "search community" type this in "starter keeps running"
485 results...
Replace battery if it is old or have it tested. Historically it has been the battery.
NAPA does 100 amp test, other parts stores use a mickey mouse tester that sometimes
the reading comes up in excess of the CCA rating.
Replace battery first.
Replace relay.
If you replace relay and keep the same battery, highly possible it will weld contacts.
Some have used lawn tractor starter relays. Other have used Ford Starter relays with
mounting or wiring modifications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2003 VTX 1800. I experienced the exact same problem over a week ago.
My resolve was to replace the Solenoid and the Stop/Start Switch connected to the throttle.
The repair took about 45 minutes total. I would encourage you to take pictures of what you're taking apart.
Rode my VTX to and from work today.
It was a beautiful fix....!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starter Relay contacts welded together. Frequently happens.. Weak battery usually the cause. At the top in "search community" type this in "starter keeps running"
485 results...
Replace battery if it is old or have it tested. Historically it has been the battery.
NAPA does 100 amp test, other parts stores use a mickey mouse tester that sometimes
the reading comes up in excess of the CCA rating.
Replace battery first.
Replace relay.
If you replace relay and keep the same battery, highly possible it will weld contacts.
Some have used lawn tractor starter relays. Other have used Ford Starter relays with
mounting or wiring modifications.
Battery is just starting 2nd ridding season on trickle charge during winter probably 1500 miles on it may have a loose connection just ordered a new starter relay and I'm going to load test battery it and it is the same one for the Goldwing more cranking amps. I think I have a few Ford relays somewhere in my shop will they hold up better?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2003 VTX 1800. I experienced the exact same problem over a week ago.
My resolve was to replace the Solenoid and the Stop/Start Switch connected to the throttle.
The repair took about 45 minutes total. I would encourage you to take pictures of what you're taking apart.
Rode my VTX to and from work today.
It was a beautiful fix....!!!
I just ordered a relay going to load test battery almost new only rode 1 season and a couple rides this year. Glad you got your 1800 up and running keep two wheels to the ground and stay healthy.

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Battery is just starting 2nd ridding season on trickle charge during winter probably 1500 miles on it may have a loose connection just ordered a new starter relay and I'm going to load test battery it and it is the same one for the Goldwing more cranking amps. I think I have a few Ford relays somewhere in my shop will they hold up better?
Hold up better??? It has all the makings of a long life.
Chuck-1800F owner in an earlier time used nylon bolts to insulate the Ford relay..
Ground side neutral switch, Kickstand switch. Others opened the Ford relay and took off "I" terminal and moved the Ground side of coil to the "I" terminal.
and a PDF at the end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck-1800F owner in an earlier time used nylon bolts to insulate the Ford relay..
Ground side neutral switch, Kickstand switch. Others opened the Ford relay and took off "I"
terminal and moved the Ground side of coil to the "I" terminal.
and a PDF at the end.
Thanks for al the info your the man when it comes to the VTX should I charge the battery before I take it to NAPA for a load test I'm sure its probably low after what it went through today.

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
The 1 amp charge for 10 hours or whatever.
Trickle charge with voltage limited to no more than 14.5 volts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed the starter relay charged the battery for two days @ 1amp did not use the Honda OEM I thought it was way over priced. I think a bad battery connection was the reason it happened + was loose, when I installed the battery after winter only had a large screwdriver with me and it must have vibrated loose been riding a few days with no problems. Thanks everyone for your info and keep two wheels to the ground.

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Quite often when tightening a battery bolt the entire lug and cable will turn some.
You know the cable wants to go back to the original location.
If I see that then I will loosen the bolt and move the cable the opposite direction
so when tightened it will be in the original location. Seems to work for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With over fifty years of riding and many motorcycles I have never had a loose connection cause an issue like this just glad to have you guys here to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts