Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2009 1300 Tourer and was wondering what you guys think I should be concerned about for possible issues. It has 77000 kms (48000 miles). Never had valves adjusteD or fork seals. Really only has had oil changes and brakes when needed. Never been down. Bike looks very good but Im more concerned with getting hit with big mechanic bill. Mileage seems pretty high to me but he is selling for $3800 canadian.
What do you guys think and any advice would help.
Joe

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
In what world is 48k high on a 11 year old VTX.....others will be along ...good luck...

·
Registered
876 Posts
For reference, I paid $5000 for my 08 1300T almost 2 years ago now. It had 31,000 km on it, but it also has hard bags, and a Memphis Shades Batwing. I think $3500 is the ballpark.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For reference, I paid $5000 for my 08 1300T almost 2 years ago now. It had 31,000 km on it, but it also has hard bags, and a Memphis Shades Batwing. I think $3500 is the ballpark.

I agree with you. But the guy is firm at $3800 and he has never done fork seals or fluid, valve adjustments, coolant. Only replaced tires and oil. Not sure if this is a good idea.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If it runs well and the fork seals aren’t leaking, then I don’t see an issue. Adjust the valves when you get it. Your call but I wouldn’t let that deter me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it runs well and the fork seals aren’t leaking, then I don’t see an issue. Adjust the valves when you get it. Your call but I wouldn’t let that deter me.

Thank you for the Advice. I messaged the owner and requested some more clear service info but no answer. I might pass on it and hope another one comes up at some point. Prices are really high here in edmonton this year

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a VTX1300 T you can do the valves its not that hard everyone here on this forum helped me with mine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a VTX1300 T you can do the valves its not that hard everyone here on this forum helped me with mine
I have done valves on the 1300 and 1800 before. I was just surprised he had never had them done in all this ownership. I did find a bike today. 2008 VTX 1300 Retro. Original owner with 8700 original Kms. (5000 miles). Bike is showroom for $4500

·
Registered
203 Posts
rilcoat,
With only 5,000 miles on it... I'd jump on that deal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is extremy nice but do find that it runs pretty rough at idle. it is half old fuel and half new fuel and I put some seafoam in it. Going to run the tank through and see how it is on new fresh gas and maybe I will have to blow out some of the ports in the carb. Might have gotten gunked up a little bit from sitting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine was also very low mileage when I found it. I did what was suggested to me by folks here, which was tires and ALL fluids, then started riding. Everything smoothed out great.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine was also very low mileage when I found it. I did what was suggested to me by folks here, which was tires and ALL fluids, then started riding. Everything smoothed out great.
I hope it will smooth out. It runs pretty rough at idle. But yet on the hiway it is smooth at butter. All fluids are new except the gas, but like i said I did top off the tank with new gas and put seafoam into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts