Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh - it's still a Harley.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cycle World recently did a road test on the Europe-only Harley XR1200 and if I remember correctly, they called it the best handling Harley ever. Unfortunately, it was only available overseas - until now! Harley has recently announced they will bring the XR1200 to the good ol' US of A for 2009. My first thoughts are, I'm disappointed in the fact that there are no floating rotors, but just looking at this thing, that's about all I'm disappointed in. I have every intention of riding one when our local H-D does their annual Demo Days event in May or June and again in September and I hope it's not as big a letdown to me as their Nightster was!

IMO, very, very cool!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
always wanted an XR750... Evils bike, lol.... this is a cool lookin ride

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Its one of my dream bikes. Ive been waiting for them to be available at my local dealer since the reviews from the Euro mags. You should see it with all carbon fiber body panels.

The first 750 for US sales are already being offered thru a dealer in Cali and already sold out too.

Model Model Code Colors Sugg. Retail
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
XR1200 - DOM 1LA619 Denim, Pearl $11,079

Vivid Black $10,799
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XR1200 - CAL 1LA639 Denim, Pearl $11,179

Vivid Black $10,899

This link has a video of a modified bike and pics of the carbon fiber panels.

http://www.adrenalinmoto.co.uk/

:thumbup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I read the original article in the mag too, I like it then and still do. Doesnt really fit in with the traditional Harley gang, wheres the fringe and saddlebags go? I wounder how the die hard Harley gang is going to accept it?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I read the original article in the mag too, I like it then and still do. Doesnt really fit in with the traditional Harley gang, wheres the fringe and saddlebags go? I wounder how the die hard Harley gang is going to accept it?
I was never meant to appeal to that HD crowd. It was made to appeal to the flat tracker and Roadster crowd. HDs stock Roadster models and even the old XR or S models left a lot to be desired for street use. This year the XL1200R was discontinued so this will be the replacement.

XR750s still dominate 1/2 mile+ flat track events today running over 130mph.

BTW HDKLR i knew for quite awhile they were comming to the USA but didnt know when.

Here is a pic from early 2007 of a 2006 prototype. Look at the EPA stamp on the muffler.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Looks like the old Honda Night Hawk. Maybe people will call it a "Honda wanna be".
Then Honda would have had to copy the HD from the 1970s using that logic. Didnt the Hawk or NightHawk come out in the 80s? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I like it. There seems to be a lot of interest in it, and I hope it opens their eyes to the fact that there are all different kinds if riders everywhere that like all different kinds of rides that certainly are not grouped in different parts of the world.

I still can't figure out why manufacturers build different bikes for different markets and don't even attempt to distribute them globally. Case in point, the XR1200 (until now). I always thought the global marketing of a product was the biggest advantage of economy of scale, but they're ALL guilty of it -- cycle and car builders. I consider myself to be somewhat intelligent, but I never did understand that approach.

Anywhoo, kudos to HD for actually listening to potential new buyers and bringing this thing state-side. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thats all im saying too. They are making an effort and this one seems to be doing well.

Anywhoo, kudos to HD for actually listening to potential new buyers and bringing this thing state-side. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I live about 25 miles from the HD test facility in Lincoln AL. (Talladega)
I saw a couple of these and sat on 1 back in Oct.
I'm not sure where HD is going with this concept.
The bike has less vibration and is much quieter that current sportsters.
I cranked one up with the test rig on it and it had some HD roots but seemed strange nonetheless.
I also sits pretty tall. Almost like an enduro. It definitely won't appear to the cruiser crowd for their everyday bike.
I think there will be some initial interest and after a year they will hit the used market.
The Sportster crowd doesn't want to spend 12K on a bike like this IMHO.
Not with the current economy.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Then Honda would have had to copy the HD from the 1970s using that logic. Didnt the Hawk or NightHawk come out in the 80s? :rolleyes:

You are 100% correct.
They also had the SX models they were more duel purpose in the early 70's.
Me and my buddy would ride all over with that sx 175..

I think HD just hit another Homerun.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The Sportster crowd doesn't want to spend 12K on a bike like this IMHO.
Its not meant to appeal to Sporter owners unless they have an R model which is a Roadster. These owners have been asking for a higher performance version for years, just look at the XR1200 section on the Xlforums.

It is also meant to attract new people that would buy bikes like:

Ducati Monster S2R air/oil cooled
Moto Guzzi Breva air/oil cooled
People like me that love old flat trackers including the old Hondas but wanted a streetable bike.
Yammy MT-01 (also not available in the USA)
Maybe a few BWMs too
Some Triumph Bonnevilles

Most of the other brands are more expensive and have higher service costs. XL/XB motors are fairly maintence free in comparison and the new model has an oil cooled head ala Buell.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow - lots of interest so far! Yeah, it kind of looked to me like the saddle sat a little high, which I am not a fan of, but I won't know until I sit on/ride one in the spring.

That picture you posted, Evi|Grin, is sick! I like it!

edc1800 said:
I thought the same thing, edc, but wasn't gonna be the one to light that match! I think bikes like this and Honda's new CB1100F will be the new trend in bikes.

Evi|Grin, I've mentioned to you before that I'm not in any hurry to buy something new, because it seems like every week, someone comes out with something I'd want. This "new" Harley fits right in with that statement. I need a second job (or a better first one)...

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Not for Me, but looks very nice!! Should be a big hit around some of the sport bike croud..

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Wow - lots of interest so far! Yeah, it kind of looked to me like the saddle sat a little high, which I am not a fan of, but I won't know until I sit on/ride one in the spring.

That picture you posted, Evi|Grin, is sick! I like it!

I thought the same thing, edc, but wasn't gonna be the one to light that match! I think bikes like this and Honda's new CB1100F will be the new trend in bikes.

Evi|Grin, I've mentioned to you before that I'm not in any hurry to buy something new, because it seems like every week, someone comes out with something I'd want. This "new" Harley fits right in with that statement. I need a second job (or a better first one)...
Have you seen the CB1100R prototype? I love it but estimated msrp is in the same range as a S model Ducati super bike. Close to $20,000 in its current form.

Honda offer me a CB1100R for under $13,000 and i will be all over like stink on.....:mrgreen: Its another bike that "calls" to me with its retro styling and solid performance.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I will be the first to say it. I aint skeered! It Sucks. Dont like it all. I can see where some people would but you would not see me on it. Not my bag-o-chips at all.

Peace
Moon

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
I want one of the first 750 sold here, not gonna happen but it's a cool looking bike and I'd love to flick it around.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think the logic behind not selling it here is that it is made elsewhere. That could/would aleniate a certain percentage knowing that their bike may not be 100% USA made. This particular bike, being made elsewhere, would be an outcast, not fitting in any particular category. Maybe it will create another class? of rider.:dontknow:

·
Registered
176 Posts
don't think so

Sorry to me it looks like it was designed on friday afternoon and built on a monday morning just not for me :confused:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts